Author Topic: Vivers Family Annan Dumfriesshire  (Read 681 times)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Vivers Family Annan Dumfriesshire
« on: Thursday 29 October 20 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi one of my ancestors William Rae b1788 Cummertrees d Howgill Annan 1868 on his death entry it states his parents were John Rae and Ann Vivers . I found three different births baptisms for Cummertrees one for Annan the mothers name was spelt differently each time with some people saying to me it must have been a mistake . Bevers, Vivres and Vivers the latter appears on William death entry . Everything points to Ann being a daughter of Richard Vivers b 1705 Yorkshire d 1790 Annan and Elizabeth Kindred 1720 Yorkshire 1810 Annan, though i couldnt find Ann on a Vivers Family tree someone else did ? . I think William father was born 1851 in Kirkpatrick Fleming with his father a William Rae b 1730 from there also . William wife Elizabeth Alexander original surname Brown b i think 1792 either Buittle Kirkudbrightshire or Minigaff d before 1856? i can find not much on her either . I followed this up when i found the marriage of William son John Rae my 3 x great grandfather who married Margaret Graham of Stapleton Cumberland in 1856 in Annan.  If anyone could be of assistance or give me any advice id be grateful Chris

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Vivers Family Annan Dumfriesshire
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 20 13:04 GMT (UK) »
First, do not trust anything you find online unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Second, do not attach any importance or significance to spelling variations. The idea of 'correct' spelling is a relatively recent one.

Third, use www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for Scottish records and look at the original documents.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

It looks to me as if the same baptism has been recorded three times.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi you are absolutely right there i decided to just go the route of looking at original documents off Scotlands People . Yes your right about the births/baptisms recorded three times my only problem is one says if i remember correctly William Rae my 4 x great grandfather was born on 5 December with a later baptism then another birth on the 8 December baptism 14th then another William Rae birth and baptism slightly later though one of these Williams baptised at Annan ? . Its strange though very similar parents names born in the same village same month same year father called John Rae mother Ann Vivers Vivres or Bevers . Yet the only marriage i find for the parents is Cummertrees 1786 the mother called Ann Bevers perhaps it was bad bookkeeping and recording by the Parish Minister ?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:21 GMT (UK) »
the only marriage i find for the parents is Cummertrees 1786 the mother called Ann Bevers perhaps it was bad bookkeeping and recording by the Parish Minister ?
Looks like it. But it may not be fair to blame the minister - keeping the records was usually the job of the session clerk. Though if the minister supplied wrong information to start with it would be difficult for the clerk to get it right.

Usually a child was baptised in the parish where it was born. If the parents were temporarily resident in a different parish when the birth and baptism took place might they have the baptism recorded in both parishes, but I have to admit that I have never seen a triple before.

What exactly is the full wording of all three originals?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher

I was interested to see your post as i am also descended from Richard vivers and Elizabeth Kindred through their daughter Mary who married Francis Henderson and their daughter Ann who married Robert Blyth and lived in Moffat.  Moffat is famous for toffee as made by the Blacklock family, however the Blyth family were apparently unhappy about this as they always maintained that Ann Blyth was responsible for the original Moffat toffee which she sold at the Well  :)

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:58 GMT (UK) »
You may also be interested in this old rootschat thread from more than 10 years ago with Vivers info  :)

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=420393.msg6317196#msg6317196

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 20 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian i can give you the documents you will see what i am talking purple cat thank you i will have a good look at this thread .