Author Topic: Higgins - Cloonfinnaun  (Read 1656 times)

Offline RyanUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Higgins - Cloonfinnaun
« on: Thursday 29 October 20 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

I am researching my great grandmother.
I understand any information is limited as it is a popular name.

Mary Delia Higgins
Born - About 1886,
Cloonfinnaun, County Mayo

Father : Thomas Higgins (Farmer) *
((Marriage Certificate Evidence))

Residence :
1911 • 26 Manor House, Humphrey Lane, Urmston, Lancashire, England
Marital Status: Single;
Relation to Head: Servant

Marriage
January 1912 • Barton upon Irwell, Lancashire, England
Church of the English Martyrs, 5 Roseneath Rd, Urmston, Manchester M41 5AX

Married : George Townley (1883–1928)

Birth of Daughter :
Mary Ruth Townley (1913–2002)
6 Sep 1913 • Stockport, Cheshire, England

Birth of Son : Eric Townley (1923–1989)
28 Jan 1923 • Stockport, Cheshire, England

Death : 30 Nov 1928 • Stockport, Cheshire, England

My mission is to find any other information on this town she was born and possible birth records, I don't know where to start. Mainly, now i have mentioned her on this forum maybe somebody has a connection or information in time I can learn from.
Brinsley -
(marple, derbyshire)

Dace -
(cannock, staffordshire)
(altrincham, cheshire)
(detroit, michigan)(canada)(usa)

Longson -
(derbyshire)

Tattersall -
(rossendale, lancashire)

Townley -
(livesey, blackburn, lancashire)
(greater manchester)

Winfindale -
(burton upon trent, staffordshire)

Offline athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Higgins - Cloonfinnaun
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 20 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Cloonfinnaun is a townland not a town, it's in Kilconduff civil parish near the town of Swinford, Co. Mayo, which would likely be the name of the registration district for a birth in Cloonfinnaun.

There are a number of Mary Higgins births in the district on IrishGenealogy, it's worth checking though to see if you can find a matching record - see : Mary Higgins born Swinford

Closest match I spotted was a Mary Higgins born 1885 Cloonfinnane-Cloonfinnaun, but father's name was Andrew

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Mary Delia Higgins
Born - About 1886,
Cloonfinnaun, County Mayo

Father : Thomas Higgins (Farmer) *
((Marriage Certificate Evidence))

What's your source for her birth in Cloonfinnaun? Can you post a snip for others to look at?
There's a Mary Higgins with father Thomas (born 1890) but in Cloonfaughna which is near Claremorris.

Cloonfinnaun townland
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/gallen/kilconduff/swineford/cloonfinnaun/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline RyanUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 20 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I ordered Mary's 1912 marriage certificate and it revealed Mary's profession, residence address at the time of marriage and her fathers name and occupation. Also that she was Roman Catholic.

• Domestic Servant
• 26, Manor House,
  Humphrey Lane, Urmston
• Thomas Higgins, Farmer

This led me to the 1911 census records one year before her marriage. Using the address above and searching for Mary Higgins i found Mary at that exact address working as a servant in a family household and this census revealed her birth place as Cloonfinnaun.

I appreciate the links to the Irish records and the searches you have made to give me a start. Thank you. I will extend her birthdate +/-10 and start with Swinford.
Brinsley -
(marple, derbyshire)

Dace -
(cannock, staffordshire)
(altrincham, cheshire)

Longson -
(derbyshire)

Tattersall -
(rossendale, lancashire)

Townley -
(greater manchester)

Winfindale -

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 20 20:01 GMT (UK) »
The 1911 UK Census shows Mary Higgins as you say, the place of birth is given as CLOOFEENIAN,IRELAND.

How do you know this place is in Co Mayo,  Ages are often out  by a few years on these census's.  There is a place called  Cloonfaughna Knock Parish Costello, the spelling of places of births places are taken as heard and quite unusual to be correctly noted.

In Cloonfaughna there is a Mary Higgins born 27th March 1890, parents Thomas Higgins and Margaret Connor,  they appear in 1901 census Mary aged 11yrs  By 1911  Mary has gone from the family.  Is Mary alive in 1939  as if so she should be on 1939 register with dated of birth. 

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 October 20 20:42 GMT (UK) »
In Cloonfaughna there is a Mary Higgins born 27th March 1890, parents Thomas Higgins and Margaret Connor,  they appear in 1901 census Mary aged 11yrs  By 1911  Mary has gone from the family.  Is Mary alive in 1939  as if so she should be on 1939 register with dated of birth.

Cloonfaughna townland near Claremorris.
https://www.townlands.ie/mayo/costello/knock/knock-south/cloonfaughna/

Her birth 1890
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1890/02438/1907115.pdf

1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Knock_South/Cloonfaughna/1589794/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline RyanUK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:42 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for opening my eyes.
I see now what you mean with the spelling and sound. I still have a lot to learn.

Unfortunately Mary died on 30th Nov 1928, one week before her husband George died.

I need to order the death certificate for her and look for a birth date to match the
27th March 1890 if it is shown on certificate. I am not sure where else I could confirm that other than the new 1921 census that is out this year.

Thank you Owen for your time in finding this for me and thank you KG also.
Brinsley -
(marple, derbyshire)

Dace -
(cannock, staffordshire)
(altrincham, cheshire)

Longson -
(derbyshire)

Tattersall -
(rossendale, lancashire)

Townley -
(greater manchester)

Winfindale -

Offline Owenwee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 20 21:54 GMT (UK) »
 The death cert  will only show the birth date as given by the informant so may not be exact, thats if its on it at all. Have you done a DNA test may give you matches to narrow down your search.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:59 GMT (UK) »
If the only location reference point is 'Cloonfeenian' (ie. Co. Mayo is off the table and the county is therefore unknown), then you need to keep your options open, for example, the following daughter born at 'Cloonfeneen' to Thomas Higgins and Mary Fox, the birth year is inconsistent with your person's stated census and marriage age, but it wouldn't be the first time that a few years have been knocked off:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1879/02903/2063551.pdf

Cloonfineen in the civil parish of Kiltullagh is in Co. Roscommon, but right on the border with Co. Galway and about 3 miles away from the border with Co. Mayo:
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/castlereagh/kiltullagh/ballinlough/cloonfineen/

The family in 1901 (below), no sign of Mary, but another possibility could be 16 year old Bridget, whose birth registration I can't yet find (ie. Delia = Bedelia/Bridget):
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Ballinlough/Cloonfineen/1663598/   

There is also a Cloonfinnan just west of Mohill in Co. Leitrim, which might be worth exploring:
https://www.townlands.ie/leitrim/mohill/mohill/drumdoo/cloonfinnan/

I imagine that there are other examples.