Author Topic: William Kydd, 1st engineer  (Read 376 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
William Kydd, 1st engineer
« on: Thursday 29 October 20 15:44 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for William Kydd, born in St Cyrus, Kincardineshire on 27 February 1873 to William Kydd and Mary Jane Scott Bell.

There is a William Kydd, aged 18, apprentice marine engineer, born Kincardineshire, boarding in a house in North Leith in 1891.

I have found the attached and am wondering whether this is the right William Kydd.

Could someone who understands all the numbers and abbreviations please explain what they all mean, and if possible point me in the direction of any further information?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Kydd, 1st engineer
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 20 18:11 GMT (UK) »
There is a copy of a death certificate for William Kydd on a tree on Ancestry
William Kydd (engineer apprentice ) age 19 Years died 3/2/1893 at 4 London Row Leith
Usual residence Ferryden farm Montrose ..Death registered by his father William Kydd Ferryden Farm Montrose mother Mary Ann Bell

Rosie

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 October 20 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie17. That does seem to resolve the question satisfactorily.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 October 20 18:48 GMT (UK) »
Aged 19 when he died might have merited a mention in the newspapers ?  Scotsman or the Montrose local paper.   Someone with a subscription to Newspaper Archives might help.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 October 20 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Ian. I do have access to the BNA myself.