Author Topic: Christian name  (Read 536 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christian name
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 October 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
This post should have been on the Scottish boards or Handwriting deciphering.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 October 20 10:32 GMT (UK) »
You missed 2 or 3 or my posts and you must have had red warnings.
READ!

No, Gadget, there were no red warnings, hence why I was confused by your post.

Added- now a red warning for your post at 10:32
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 October 20 10:51 GMT (UK) »
Not sure why not, they usually come up.
Scotlands People index  didn't show the death until I added MMN!

Death cert shows that he was a widower so he lost two wives. Died of phthisis/TB
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 October 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank very much for your input Gadget,Aghadowey,dublin1850,gaffy,jebber,Goldie1860.  I put this query on Ireland Board as he was born in Ireland. Came to Glasgow . Died Glasgow 1859 Sept 1 of TB. Thought the
Irish would have more of an idea of naming. We are always told that 1851 Census rounded off ages by 5 years(forwards or backwards). We are also told to use online Family trees as a template. Measure twice/cut once.  His first marriage was to
Hannah Johnston Miller. 1847 November 17 Glasgow  Presbyterian Church record basic information. 3 children born. 1 child survived to
Adulthood.  All died of TB. Hannah died 1854 July/ John about 1854 as well and William 1864ish.  Only survivor my great granny Isabella who moved to Belfast by 1877. Family of 11 children raised there. Then to Montreal 1910.
Ire Co Arm Seagoe Drumon/Drumlin Hill JOYCE/HOUSTON John/JOYCE Isabella /ARMSTRONG Graham = son ARMSTRONG Wm Valentine ca 1809 (wf} Hannah Johnston MILLER ca 1823 Seago Arm Ire  aft1840 in Glasgow Scot dau Isabella 1847 + John M'D s/o Co DERRY Edw McD*V*TT//DAID {wf} Eliz 'CL*SKY/M'SHANE/DUFF Ire = DOYLE,Jos + Mary M'GINITY/ m ca1840 = Can PEI Hope Riv/ DOWDS,Bridget ca1819 d/o John DOWD + Mary WOODS ca1840 PEI Can UK  REINE/RIIM = Adrianoff/Mary//Sweden/Baltics/Baron VON Stiegler/Toxteth Park

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 October 20 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Only the 1841 census had age rounding. The 1851 was actual age.  I'm not quite sure about being told to use online trees. I've never heard that one before.  I certainly wouldn't advocate them. The best way is to go to original sources - birth/baptism, marriage/death/buirals, wills, etc.

Gadget

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 October 20 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Only the 1841 census had age rounding. The 1851 was actual age.  I'm not quite sure about being told to use online trees. I've never heard that one before.  I certainly wouldn't advocate them. The best way is to go to original sources - birth/baptism, marriage/death/buirals, wills, etc.

Gadget

Just about to post the same thing Gadget.
Only 1841 Census ages rounded down.
And never trust a tree you see posted online!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 October 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »

Just about to post the same thing Gadget.
Only 1841 Census ages rounded down.
And never trust a tree you see posted online!

Agree, Goldie  :)

There are many threads on here on the howlers found on online trees  ;D

Gadget

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 October 20 23:36 GMT (UK) »

Gadget

I agree with all Gadget has said.

Online trees are certainly not to be trusted, by all means use them as  guide, but always double check the facts for yourself, using original documents where possible. Except for 1911, all the census images are transcriptions and contain errors. Even original documents can have errors, and people didnít always tell the truth, ideally you need to find three different items to confirm a fact, but that isnít always possible.

Some people are so careless that they add people to their tree just because they find someone with the same name. As an example I have seen howlers such as grandchildren born before their grandparents, and someone in
my family on an unconnected tree, apparently giving birth to children six months apart on opposite sides of the Atlantic. ::)  ::) ::) ::)
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,† Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 31 October 20 11:01 GMT (UK) »
We are always told that 1851 Census rounded off ages by 5 years(forwards or backwards).

Can I just add that the instructions were that ages in the 1841 (not 1851) census were to be rounded down to the nearest 5 for over 15-year-olds.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk