Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 29th October  (Read 1331 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Thursday 29th October
« on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Only two of us contributed to Wednesday's diary, let's see how this one does.

It was another of those nights when I laid awake till 4am, felt lousy when I woke up. Eventually brought myself back to consciousness aided by lots of tea. Apparently it looks like we'll be going into tier 3 soon, not that it makes a haporth of difference to me, I don't have any social life in tier 2. Also we've been selected as one of three places in England that will be given mass testing which will be carried out by the army. I don't know where the other places are or why we've been chosen,  we're just a small town. Perhaps they want to compare the demographic, although I don't know what information they ask for.

It was raining again today, eventually got up and did some more domestic things. Saw a couple of flocks of Canada geese flying overhead, honking loudly.
After lunch I sorted out some things for my Zoom art class tomorrow, did a couple of pencil sketches and a little bit of the tonal sketch but didn't complete it. Found a frame and hung my latest picture on the lounge wall, I like it better now it's on the wall.

The rain stopped about 2.15 so I went out, mainly around the walkways but also through the woods. Still didn't know if J and I would be walking tonight, we'd agreed to wait and see what the weather was like when she finished work.

Got prepared for my Tesco delivery, it arrived just after 4pm, did the usual sanitisation procedures. It wasn't raining, J was home about 5,15 so we decided we'd go for our walk in the dark. It's not going to get lighter any time soon. We stayed on paved areas, enjoyed the walk and the company.

Home for tea, telly, bath and bed.

I don't suppose anyone's day is particularly earth shattering at the moment but good to read how people have been getting on nevertheless.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 29th October
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »
I am back.

Have had a rough month so far but seem to be turning the corner. P's cancer is in remission although he has to continue with chemo, that makes me feel better.
Went for a walk to the end of the road and back. That's the furthest I have walked in 6 years. Felt good. I used to walk about 52km a day but that hasn't happened since 2011. Even went to the supermarket and walked around the whole shop, normally just do the first 2 rows and that's it. Got really brave and went to the clothing shop to have a look around. I normally shop online. More things to buy when you can see and touch things rather than read the description. Debit card a lot lighter by the time I got back to the car. Ah well, such is life. I am lucky to be able to do it with Covid everywhere.
Sorry to hear a lot of you are moving to tier 3. :-[
Stay safe Stay strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 20 00:28 GMT (UK) »
Carol - great to see you back and wow able to do all that in a day is wonderful news.... 52km a day my that’s some going and very impressive... glad to hear your son is in remission at the moment... you must be breathing a little easier...

Roobarb- so pleased to hear you e been able to go out with J for a walk... albeit in the dark!.. interesting your areas been selected for mass testing... at least you’ll have some idea where you stand... sorry to hear you could be going in to tier 3...
Glad your painting looking good up on the wall...

Today was another one of rain pretty much all day... oh what a delight to know we’re stuck inside again!
No golf for OH today either so he’s not too happy either!
Had a read before getting up ... shower, breakfast... got in touch with our Son in Oz and we had FaceTime with him.... so lovely to be able to see him... who knows when it’ll be in the flesh... he told us they’d got all their money back from the holiday they’d been going to take in Bali to celebrate their 10th wedding anniversary last March.... just got to battle with Virgin to get airfares back now!... they are both getting on with life going about pretty much as normal... DiL normally in US for two weeks this time of year for conferences but all being done virtually... gathered all her people together at their local yacht club... allot cheaper than flying and she can come home and sleep in her own bed... she looked washed out poor girl... first appointment had been at 5am.... rather her than me...
After our chat did some tidying up and then made casserole put in the slow cooker..
after lunch went to sew more face coverings... did that until 6pm then came to finish off dinner made some herb scones put on casserole and finished off I the oven.... like dishes all in one just cooked sprouting broccoli to go with it...
Watched tv.. caught up with Portrait Artist... didn’t think some of paintings were particularly good likenesses but the winning one was quite good... didn’t know the  sitters...
Off to bed for a read... pretty dull day all round... only excitement was listening to more infighting in the Labour party.... never going to get re-elected at this rate!
Sorry to hear about all goings on in France  too... as if any country needs anything else to deal with at the moment... I winder every night what the next days going to bring....

Look forward to reading what everyone else has been up to!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 October 20 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Son brought a few fresh things for me but did not come in.
Grand daughter’s Birthday tomorrow.
Well today now.
Got winter duvet out from storage ,need a good blowy day to fluff it up.
I store it in one of those things you suck the air from ,so the pack is very small.
So much rain though a dry day could be some time off .
Nearly weekend again ,to say it is such a boring time, time is going by quickly.
Had to put a note out with the milk bottles , they are  very cloudy
and  streaky .
The dairy said it was the detergent cycle last time, but it has happened quite a few times .I don’t  want to stop deliveries but the bottles  look awful .
Too rainy for a walk today I am afraid , and I forgot to order from the garden centre .
Good news Carol, so glad for you .
How lovely to have a painting you have done hanging in your home Roobarb.
What are you reading Caroline? I am struggling with the small print in Martin Chuzzlewit , but so many drops ,but must be done.
I can’t settle to some only  partly read books ,not my taste at all.
I have a biography if Henry VIII, for my sister ,but goodness knows when I will see her,tempted to read it and get another for her or just own up and pass it on!

Well bed calls ,so goodnight all ,until tomorrow.
Viktoria.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 October 20 02:22 GMT (UK) »
Collected my car from garage Tuesday morning but have not been out since.  Each day follows the same routine and is mundane compared to others here.  Yesterdays highlight was amending my Asda delivery order!

Woke up late today and a really dull day so had to have lights on.  Rained in the morning.   My nephews wife gave me a list of what to get the children for Christmas (as she kindly does every year) and have now ordered them all so various deliveries in the next few days.   Two other items are collect from Smyths Toys and Argos so planning to collect them on Saturday.

Ran out of milk so had to pop out to the shop next door this afternoon.   At least I remembered to take my mask this time.   Last time I was about to walk in the shop when I realised I'd left mask at home.   Aside from time spent on PC it's the usual sudoku and knitting.

That's about it really.  Wish I had more to report but it is what it is.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 October 20 02:27 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria, if you like historical novels have you read Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel?

The TV series, based on the book, was good https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3556920/ .

I think I bought the book for OH years ago but he didn’t read it. He enjoyed the series which is why I bought it for him.   :-\

Quiet Thursday for me. Helped out daughter with some tidying before her house inspection as she had to head off to work, removed dog from the house for a few hours in the designated inspection time slot. Waited for daughter to come home from work as she wanted to show off her just purchased iPad - very nice. She bought a nice cover with keyboard attached, plus a ‘pencil’ which is magnetised and sits on top of the iPad. Lovely design. They think of everything. Took dog for a walk. She only barked at a couple of dogs so was a fairly good girl.
Gyoza and edamame for dinner - quick and easy and out of the freezer.  :)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 October 20 07:59 GMT (UK) »
Viktoria - good idea to vacuum pack your duvet they take up alot if space don’t they?
What am I  reading you ask.... all sorts! I like genealogy based books so I’ve just read the  new one by JM Lee in the Jane Sinclair series... all based around Manchester... Highly recommend it.. The Christmas Carol.... if you like Dickens you might enjoy this one...
he also writes a crime series that I’ve just read that new book too...
The Brothers York by Thomas Penn... that was a very long book but I like historical books...
An American Marriage by Tayari Jones... I found that a fascinating book... it’s going to be one discussed on Book Club on  Radio 4 this Sunday so I’m interested to hear what they have to say...
I’ve got the new Ken Follett the prequel to Pillars if the Earth sitting on my bedside waiting to be read...
The Beekeeper of Aleppo by Christie Lefteri our book club choice by me... it’s a heart rending tale but inspirational.... could go on about books for ever!
As Ruskie says Hilary Mantel trilogy are also good reads...last one a 700+ pager!
I interested to know which book you have about Henry VIII you have ....
Currently I’m reading Underland by Robert Macfarlane.... all about what’s under the ground... from Neolithic finds, Anglo Saxon burials to cave systems...interesting I’m only a short way through it but it’s an unusual book and well written...

My Annette you ate well ahead with your Christmas shopping... I’ve bought one or two... Country Living have their virtual Christmas shopping event next weekend so will be looking to see if I can find some unusual gifts this year... need to get stuff sorted for Oz as the post is taking 5-6 wks to get there.... jars of Marmite have been requested by my son as apparently he’s not able to get them!

Have a good day everyone

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 30 October 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Glad to see everyone plodding onwards.
How fabulous to frame and hang your artwork Roobarb, and geese too. Marvellous.  Did you see any Halloween decorations while you were out walking? My granddaughter has carved a remarkable pumpkin. 2 girls faces.  It is excellent.
Great news you are out and about again Carol, and P is doing well.
So many books on the go Caroline, and Christmas shopping well under way Annette.
Ruskie, our electric clock reverts to Ozzie time every so often. This morning it jumped back an hour, which gave me a nasty shock!  Bet that makes you giggle Viktoria. ;)
Nothing much to report.
Hang in there everyone.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 30 October 20 10:48 GMT (UK) »
.... jars of Marmite have been requested by my son as apparently he’s not able to get them!
Caroline

Caroline, tell your son that Marmite is available in the International Aisle in Coles supermarkets, usually on the bottom shelf, alongside a few other “English” foods. I regularly buy it and only this morning added it to my shopping list as I am running low. It is called “Our Mate”  which it presumably is in the UK too these days. He might need to look in of the larger Coles supermarkets which have more International food.

I think they also sell it here https://www.chumleywarners.com.au/ which may be convenient for him. They have some English grocery lines but at hugely inflated prices, but if you’ve got a craving, sometimes you’ve got to pay to satisfy it. Their fish and chips are excellent.  ;D

Added: I just googled and see that Coles have discontinued Marmite!!!!  :o I am furious! I will have to go in and grab whatever is left on the shelves - typical though....  >:( :( ::) :P

Added: Amazon.com.au sell it in various sizes. It seems to be expensive. I might have to resort to Amazon too if it’s not available in store. The label looks different from the one I have at home - you would hope it would be the genuine product.  :-\