Author Topic: Diary > Thursday 29th October  (Read 1334 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Thursday 29th October
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 October 20 20:38 GMT (UK) »
I do like Philippa Gregory ,have read a good few of hers, Hilary Mantel too but occasionally she writes and I can’t fathom it.Others have said the same.

Cleaned out the cupboard on left side of the fireplace today.
Doesn’t really get dusty I thought ,but was surprised, gas pipe for  fire runs through and the hole is not much bigger than the pipe so I was surprised the cupboard was quite dusty ,perhaps if I seal rounds he pipe it will be better.The  other  side has loads of videos and CD’s , I should get rid of some .when I do that side.
Grand daughter’s Birthday today.26.
Sent money and vouchers for Lakeland, she has as I think I told you a little business ,cakes made to order.
She has level five food hygiene but there are regular checks seemingly ,she has one side of her sizeable kitchen dedicated to the cakes, separate utensils etc and needed bigger and solely for the cakes scales.
She at one time wanted to be a chef ,did a good part of the course but the hours and poor pay whilst learning were hard.
And a young girl in an environment where Gordon Ramsey language was the norm!Finishing very late and not wanting to accept lifts ,meant Taxis or her Mum picking her up from Manchester in the small hours  of the morning .
So swapped ships in mid stream. Went to accountancy and nearly finished
now ,then fully qualified.
Works for her Mum’s franchise , her Grandad would be so proud over and above  her nice character etc,.
Well another rainy day folks , and only nearly November.!
I need to do some sewing so will look at the old machine when son can lift it for me.Just arm caps for the soft furniture .
( You do have to learn patience when you are old )
I got some covers, a bit neater  than throws ,and an extra one to make arm caps .
Why I am so tight re buying a new machine  I don’t know , I hate change ,am resisting s new phone ,hope to goodness I don’t get one at Christmas from some kind well meaning interfering child!

Curtains going to be cleaned tomorrow, cleaners will collect.
It is not far but as they will collect , why not.
Have others up, my second best ones! ::)

Hope everyone is well, good news about Louisa Maude .
I mis typed then, put “ goon news”, well it is all getting ridiculous but no better really , worrying now as Christmas approaches and people wanting to get together.
Well folks,I am warm, well fed ,comfy, smug having done one cupboard ,
and might be the proud owner of a new sewing machine in a bit .
Then again as a technophobe ,I must see which will be the best cost wise, ( fibber, I won’t understand half the instructions)repair The one I have which will include it being picked up ( I hope) repaired  and brought back  ( I hope)OR a new one many of the  functions of  which will  be beyond me .
Or  the  very old one .
In the grand scheme of things not problems really are they !
 So goodnight ,hope everyone is well , look after yourselves.
Viktoria.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 October 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Sleep tight Viktoria

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline oldfashionedgirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 31 October 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Morning everyone
We don’t have the ‘level restrictions’ in Scotland yet, they are coming in on Monday but we have been very restricted particularly in the central belt since late September.
We have not been allowed to go into each others houses, the restaurants and pubs are closed but cafes are allowed to open until 6 but can’t sell alcohol.
Our rule of six which came into force in mid September was up to 6 people from 2 households, i.e. you and one other.
As said this is no longer allowed but still applies if meeting outside so you can only go for a walk with 1 friend.
When the restrictions come in on Monday even those in level 1, mostly those in the Highlands and Islands won’t be allowed anyone in their homes, which is tough for them as the cases are low up there.
From Monday we are advised not to travel out with our local authority area. A good friend lives in Midlothian and I’m in Edinburgh, we live about 5 miles apart and have met up previously to walk her dog and have a picnic but not from Monday.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not moaning, it is what it is and we have to get on with it but I do think it would be easier to have a firebreak lockdown and I do wish there was some continuity between the nations i.e the rule of 6 meaning the same country wide.
To have a cuppa and a catch up with a friend seems such a challenge these days, on a wet day like yesterday it was getting dark at 4.30 so no chance of meeting up after work.

As I say I’m not morning, I’m hale and hearty and count my blessings, it’s just life at the moment.
I’m dreading the winter and I fear Christmas is cancelled in Scotland.

Oh well on the bright side it will save money  ;D

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 31 October 20 10:26 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning
I fear Christmas will be cancelled in a lot of cases, although in the true spirit Christmas will still happen

My granddaughter, in Phase 3 is coming home for Christmas, I read that  students will need to isolate for 2 weeks, if she is home on 20th December and goes back 4 weeks later that will be our  Christmas sixsome get together cancelled,  will need to isolate  after seeing her?, if we do see her  of course

It is a real worry to all concerned this year but we have to go by the rules I assume, my granddaughter will be sad as well as we will not seeing her, we will have to wait and see what happened nearer to Christmas

I think she can be tested before she comes home

Take care and stay safe

Louisa Maud

Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 31 October 20 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I agree OFG, it would be much simpler if all the nations did the same, although I can see how hard it is for places like the Highlands and Islands. There's talk now of the prime minister considering a month long lockdown in England so that thing could be eased for Christmas.

As you say LM, Christmas in its true spirit will still happen. Sadly a lot of people have lost sight of what that is, it's just become about overspending and overeating.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 31 October 20 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Well in this worrying and sad time a little cheerful spark,
Dry cleaner’s called today to pick up the curtains ,I told the chap who came to let me know the cost and I would try to have the right money for him.
He said ,if I needed anything to let him know and he would get it from the little convenience shop close to the cleaners’and bring whatever when the curtains  were returned.
How  kind, mind you ,perhaps it was because I had my specs on the end of my nose and was looking over the tops at him and can’t remember (  ::))
If I had my teeth in ——.
No seriously I do have two teeth on a little plate ,but I did have them in, wouldn’t be seen dead without them,- Well I might be !
My OH did not find men wearing the kilt as attractive as I did!
I said he would look good wearing the kilt, ( he still had his football muscles!)
He said he would not be seen dead in one ,I said he might very well be !

Right off to do something useful like polishing the potatoes.
Viktoria.
P.S.I too think some very strict measures now might mean some easing for
Christmas, and how wonderful if people could celebrate much more modestly
and think of the real meaning,  If not the strictly religious meaning , then the sense of family and caring at least.
Viktoria.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 31 October 20 12:03 GMT (UK) »
You do make me laugh Viktoria, oh she of the shiny potatoes!  ;D ;D
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales