Author Topic: William (Billy) Egerton and wife Olive (nee Robinson), d Ireland, d Canada  (Read 334 times)

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone with access to Canadian obituaries might be able to help me here. As we understand it, my Irish third cousin Billy Egerton (Eggerton, Egginton) was born at or near Mullingar, County Westmeath, in December 1922. He married Olive Robinson in Ireland in March 1946. She had been born about 1929, also in Co. Westmeath. They moved to Canada at some stage. Olive died in March 1977, possibly in Ontario. Billy died on 5 April, 1998, presumably in Canada as well.
My researcher cousin and I are in Australia and don't have access to Canadian documents. We have been having success with the Irish civil registrations with research before this time, but the privacy cut-off comes into effect before the relevant birth and marriage dates. We even have pictures of Billy and Olive but need reliable information on them. I was hoping that Canadian obituaries might confirm their deaths, and if we are lucky even mention something of their life histories. 
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Geoff Turner

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William (Billy) Egerton and wife Olive (nee Robinson), d Ireland, d Canada
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 October 20 04:07 GMT (UK) »

... Billy died on 5 April, 1998, presumably in Canada as well...

Is below a possibility (names witheld as probably still living)?

Sunday Independent (Dublin), 5 April 1998:
EGERTON (Clongowney, The Downs, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath) - April 4, 1998, William (Billie), at his daughter's residence, predeceased by his wife Olive; deeply regretted by his daughters [names withheld], sons [names withheld], brothers [names witheld], sons-in-law, daughters-in-law, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, nephews, nieces, relatives and friends.  R.I.P. Removal this (Sunday) evening from Mullingar Hospital Mortuary at 5.30 o'c to the Cathedral of Christ The King arriving 6 o'c. Funeral tomorrow (Monday) after 11 o'c. Mass to Coralstown Cemetery.

Offline GeoffTurner

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: William (Billy) Egerton and wife Olive (nee Robinson), d Ireland, d Canada
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 October 20 04:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, that's him. He was born at The Downs. I saw a reference to Olive dying in Canada so thought Billie probably did as well. I guess there are three possibilities: her death place is wrong; or he went back home after she died; or she went to Canada but he didn't. Magic! Geoff.