Author Topic: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy  (Read 2223 times)

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hendersons of Bristol: Driving me crazy
« Reply #9 on: Friday 30 October 20 13:29 GMT (UK) »
The Will of Henry BROWNE again Canterbury Wills on Ancestry

Residence: Bristol, Glamorganshire, Wales (reason to be explained)....

Death year: abt 1834

Henry, (Gentleman) - City of Bristol...

His Son in law is George Anthony GODDARD, of Skotty? near Swansea in Glamorgan
who appears to have married his daughter Elivia.... (Eliza)

----

Marriage at Westbury on Trym Holy Trinity

15 April 1816

George Anthony GODDARD of this Parish, Bachelor
and Eliza BROWN of this Parish, married by me: Samuel Field (Curate)

witnesses

Thomas GWILLIAM and Joseph  WOOLCOTT

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 30 October 20 13:58 GMT (UK) »
The Member of the HENDERSON family who went off to Pimlico was Anthony HENDERSON  - who died 31 July 1812, Stafford Row, Barrister at Law, wife Sophia etc.

Anthony HENDERSON's nephew was called Samuel

Uk City and County Directories

Samuel HENDERFON SHORT

Surgeon St Augufines-placc

(f were s in 'olden days')

Ancestry - copies of marriage at Clifton Bristol

26 May 1853

Joseph Emery TUCKER - Widower, Builder, St James Bristol, father; Thomas TUCKER (Baker)

Letitia Eliza SHORT - Spinster, residence: Clifton, father Samuel HENDERSON SHORT - Surgeon

:

Christening at Peckham Hanover Chapel Independent, Camberwell, Surrey

Letitia Eliza SHORT - birth date: 13 May 1811, baptism date: 15 Sept 1815

parents: Samuel Henderson SHORT and Frances

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 30 October 20 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Sugarbakers, your website was extremely useful to me when I first started trying to dig up something on the Hendersons. I have pencilled out a rough family tree of the Hendersons using the info that both you and Capetown have provided so far, and it's all beginning to make a whole lot more sense. One of the Anthonys was Sheriff in 1783 and a Common Councillor in 1790: I had assumed this to be Anthony the jeweller, but in actual fact it may have been his uncle, though I don't know if there is any way of checking this. I had also assumed (not being aware of the elder Anthony) that it was Anthony the jeweller who died in 1792, as 1790 is the last time the latter appears in any of the directories as far as I can tell.

I've had a look at the entry for Henry Browne's declaration and will have to email the archives to see if I can obtain a copy of it and, if so, how much it will cost. With that in front of me (hopefully) I should be able to find out whose son Anthony the barrister was, amongst other things, and how Mary fits in to the picture.

The snippet from Henry's will about George and Eliza Goddard living somewhere near Swansea is useful, because I know Eliza died "at Swansea" in 1837, but had thought she might just have been staying with relations there - George was a career soldier, though he was on half-pay for much of the time.

It was rather nice to see the auction notice for the (fairly impressive) Nelson Street household contents, as I've only been able to dig up that for the actual Sugar House premises. Samuel Henderson junior, who I am assuming is the one "leaving Bristol" in 1807, had a daughter, Mary Ludlow Henderson (born circa 1802), who married Richard Short, he being a son of Samuel Henderson Short and grandson of Dorcas. This Samuel married Martha Ludlow back in 1786 but I can't find records for any other children of this couple, which is frustrating.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 30 October 20 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Will have a look on Ancestry and National Archives

Can see the marriage at Bristol St James -  by LICENCE ..... which would show more info....

Richard SHORT of this Parish, Printer and a Batchelor and Mary LUDLOW HENDERSON of this Parish, a Spinster.. 18 August 1824 by Mr John EAST, CURATE

Witnesses: Henry BROWNE, Frans? SHORT, Caesar SHORT, Eliza GODDARD Samuel BERRY, Ann SPILSBURY.

Ludlow Wills might turn up something!

--

Henry BROWNE pops up everwhere!!!

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 30 October 20 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Geordie daughter, have you tried downloading the two wills from TNA ? ... free at the moment.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 October 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Sugarbakers: Ooh, brilliant! - will see if I can do that on Sunday (Saturdays are always a bit manic for me). Yes, Henry does pop up everywhere. He set up a bank from his jeweller's premises in Corn Street (which sadly went bust in the Panic of 1825), so he was regularly involved in signing all sorts of official transactions. Trouble is, when I Google him the banking bits are all that come up most of the time.

Capetown, thanks for putting up the details of those marriages: FindMyPast only gives me the basic transcriptions for Bristol, Somerset and Gloucestershire records which drives me to distraction, as (a) the transcribers often get it wrong, and (b) it's the witnesses who are so very often the key to relationships. "Frans? Short" could either be Samuel Henderson Short's wife Frances (nee Weaver), or their son Francis who was a solicitor and who shared Henry's premises at Corn Street from about 1820 onwards. Handy having a legal bloke on hand to make sure all the i's are dotted and t's crossed when signing official documents! I suspect Francis had a hand in negotiating favourable terms for Henry after the bankruptcy, too. Ann Spilsbury was presumably a family friend: Mary Ludlow (Henderson) Short went on to marry Thomas Spilsbury, the son of Dissenting minister Rev. Thomas Spilsbury, when Richard died a few years later. 

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 30 October 20 21:58 GMT (UK) »
On Ancestry

The Obligation for the Marriage of Samuel HENDERSON JNR and Martha LUDLOW (of Bath) is signed by Chrisr BRANDON LUDLOW and an S MORGAN.

---

Marriage at Islington, St James Clerkenwell -

Christopher Brandon LUDLOW of this Parish and Mary HIBBERD of the same married by banns  21 July 1769 .    witnesses> John GARTH Jnr and Wm CHAPLESS?  or CHAPLEN.

There is a Public Members Tree on Ancestry

Christopher LUDLOW - 1731-1789* His Will and burial is on Ancestry) - wife: Martha BEDDOME (who died Aug 1768 Bristol)

*  Christopher's Will mentions his Son, Christopher Brandon LUDLOW and his daughter Martha, wife of Samuel HENDERSON.

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 October 20 09:54 GMT (UK) »
On Google Books

The Life of Thomas CHATTERTON: Including His Unpublished Poems and....  John DIX 1837  (note at end of page, states Mr P was an appprentice of Henderson's the Jeweller.

At the beginning of the book, it says, Thomas CHATTERTON, the subject of this memoir, was the son of Thomas and Sarah CHATTERTON, and was born on the 20 November, in the year 1752 in a house siutated on Redcliff Hill. 

......  Shortly after Chatterton entered Mr Lambert's service, the office was removed to Corn Street, in the premises now (1837) occupied by Mr. Short, silver-smith, opposite the Exchange. 

---

UK City and County Directories 1793

John Brice BECKET
Bristol, Gloucestershire,

Offline Geordie daughter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 01 November 20 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Wow, Capetown, you've been busy! I had already come across the Chatterton article, which is what got me started on trying to work out if Mr Short the silversmith and Mr Short the solicitor were related to each other and/or to Henry's wife, Letitia. I'm continuously amazed at how interlinked all the Bristol merchant families were - it's almost incestuous sometimes. Henry Browne's brother William married a Rebecca Pannell, whose sister Christian married Philip Tully. When Rebecca died, William married a niece of Tully's, and a business partner of William's (Thomas John Manchee) married Harriet Tully, one of Philip's daughters.

It's interesting that Christopher Ludlow was of St. James parish, Clerkenwell, as that's where my dad's family were at the tail end of the 18th century. I've been unable to take them back further as James Newton died before the 1841 census so I have no idea where he was actually born.

Sugarbakers, I was like a kid in a sweet shop this morning! I've downloaded not only the two Henderson wills but Henry Browne's also, and they're absolute goldmines of information. My brain had shut down by Friday evening, but on working my way through the fairly horrible writing of the various wills today, the penny finally dropped that Anthony the jeweller was Samuel's brother and  Anthony the barrister was Samuel's son.