Author Topic: Diary > Friday 30th October  (Read 720 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 30th October
« on: Friday 30 October 20 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Yet another wet morning to wake up to. Art class Zoom lesson this morning. Lesson was interesting and helpful but one person's phone was constantly pinging with notifications and late on in the class we were subjected to her banging about while tidying up and doing the washing up. She was behaving as if it was a radio broadcast, presumably listening from a distance. I find it very hard to concentrate with this sort of thing going on, it drives me mad. Zoom has been new to all of us and she may be unaware of what she's doing but I and others have made the effort to learn and so should she. It's really spoiling the class for me, so much so that I later emailed the teacher to ask if people could mute themselves until they want to speak. I explained why although I didn't tell her that it puts me in a bad mood for ages after.

Weather cleared out and I went for my walk after lunch, it was quite mild but everywhere a bit muddy. All of a sudden it was mid afternoon and I didn't feel like I'd done anything. Decided to deal with other things that were bugging me - things like problems signing in to ITV Hub after I haven't been in for a while. Not sure exactly what else I did, it was just one of those days.

Chilli for tea, mainly because I had some in the freezer and couldn't be bothered faffing about with anything else.
Was really pleased with the jumper I bought from Matalan, wore it today, it was really soft and comfy. So much so that I've ordered another three! In different colours. And two hoodies. They had sent me some vouchers through the post, used one of those which meant I got one item virtually free.
Had two glasses of wine, it was stronger than I thought. I'm a cheap date these days.

Hope it's been a decent day for others.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Friday 30th October
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 20 00:43 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear your artclass was frustrating... bit thoughtless doing the washing up when supposed to be listening to your teacher... I’m sure she wouldn’t be so inattentive in an actual class.... perhaps your teacher will have words...🤞...
M & S Do a lovely  range of  sweaters they call casmillion, they’re very inexpensive and feel soft and luxurious to wear...

Having set the washing machine last night I’d hoped the weather was going to be dry today.... it was and surprisingly mild... cloudy though no sunshine...
After breakfast I went to the butchers as they’re not open on a Monday ... also popped in to the Co-op...
Got the vacuum out and went over the house, did some dusting ....
Sorted out my next Waitrose shop for the week after next and then for another fortnight after that...
Messaged daughter about tge double book order and she’s happy to have second lot... boys at tennis and football for the day... mentioned about getting post sent to Oz so boys doing Xmas cards for their uncle this W/end ... I must too... she’s just sent him his birthday present (. Bit late as it was Seot,) would you believe it 2 jars of Marmite 😩😩... told her I’d got two as well!! He’s not going to be running out any time soon...
After lunch decided to carry on with sewing... ought to have got them done sooner really but pressing taken a long time,.... most if the afternoon!... got on with getting some finished...
Shower and put on some nice clothes and we went up the lane to our friends for drinks and hot light bites... had a lovely evening with lots of laughter...
Gone 11.30 by tge time we walked back...
Now for sleep...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Online carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 20 00:58 GMT (UK) »
A quiet day for me. Just pottered around in the veggie garden. Picked the first lot of strawberry's and ate them. No good saving them. Courgettes coming along nicely, no flowers as yet. All tomatoes and beans have flowers. Grapevine is going mad, hate to think how many kilos's I will get this year. Hopefully, I won't have to throw them in the bin in March.
Had to have a checkup on my leg and arm by the doctor. Everything going ok. He's not worried about me spending my money but I have to slow down a bit on the walking. Slowly does it.
Watched the weather forecast for Nov to Jan. We will have normal rainfall and above normal temperatures. Just trying to work out what normal is. The old normal, the new normal or the normal we are living in at the moment. Guess I'll find out soon enough.
Scrambled egg, baked beans and bacon for tea. A bit of T.V. and then bed.
Stay Safe Stay strong
Carol
P.S. Roobarb I was going to say if you went on a date you could pick the expensive wine but after thinking about it that may not be a good idea. ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 20 08:20 GMT (UK) »
Great news the doctor is pleased with your progress Carol, well done. Sounds like your garden is a joy too.
I saw on fb my son in Oz has acquired a cockerel he has named David Peckham!!
Regarding the thoughtless person in the Zoom art class, I would be as fed up as you Roobarb... in fact there was lots of that going on during the Independent Scientists Covid report on Friday, and people were causing the Professor's initial report to cut out continually. Professor Alice Roberts did mention it before taking questions.  You are absolutely right to raise it with your teacher, as her screen might not react in the same way while she is broadcasting. Glad your jumpers are pleasing, shame it didn't cheer you up much.
I had thought about starting off this thread last night, but I felt a bit guilty, so I am glad you had a productive day and a pleasing sociable evening Caroline.
DIARY: I woke up to yet another wet and blustery day, but H and I had a date with my granddaughters  in Exeter, so we made an early start, and luckily as we drove there, the sky cleared and the rain ceased. Hurrah.
We met up on the bridge by the quay.  I was so happy to see them, but no hugs, which feels all wrong. It took us nearly an hour to walk along to Topsham, where we intended to sit outside and have a coffee, but the pub wasn't serving yet, so we walked back to the quay again, and found a cafe with outside tables for a drink.
I had not seen the girls since June, and I was very grateful to meet up for a short while.
Driving back we found it was still wet and blustery in Torbay; which lasted the rest of the day. I'm wondering if this demoralising weather is ever going to end.
It is rather a pity I don't drink wine.... perhaps it would dull the edges of the situation for me too.  :P

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 October 20 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Caroline, lovely for you to have had such an enjoyable evening, just the sort of thing needed to keep you going. Thanks for the tip about the cashmilon jumpers, have had a look, a great price and look really nice. Might have to buy some!  :D

Carol, lovely for you to have summer on the way, I'm so envious. I know we've had ours but it seems ages ago now. I'm sure you'll pay attention to your doctor and not go running off down the street!
No chance of any sort of date for me, will have to stick to buying the expensive wine myself!  ;)

MH, I hope you wouldn't feel guilty about telling us you'd had a lovely day with your granddaughters? Very pleased for you to be able to do so. I am jealous of your visit to Topsham, the beautiful home of my ancestors. Would love to walk along the Strand and the Goat Walk...... How lovely that the weather cleared for you while you were there and you had a good day despite no hugs.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 20 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Yet another wet morning to wake up to.

So much so that I've ordered another three! In different colours. And two hoodies. They had sent me some vouchers through the post, used one of those which meant I got one item virtually free.

Waking up for almost two decades (since a health discovery) is a most wonderful precious moment for me  ;D  :)  ;D , even though I'm not always chipper because of it, etc.

Even this morning, with the wind gusting and rain lashing the house at first murky light and after seeing the awful news prospects broadcast at 7am.

I've now started switching off most news broadcasts. I know what to do to keep others and myself as safe as possible.

Because my 4 year old Granddaughter has seen the Card being used a lot for hygiene reasons, she has drawn me a Debit Card (about A5 size!). Won't fit a machine, but it is the thought that counts  :)  ;)

Nice to get something for free and I recently had that experience just over a year ago and it was nice to be thought of, in a scheme run by Government and our Gas Supplier. My Boiler had a leak and wouldn't always fire up and I'm most appreciative, because I can wake up to a warm house every morning this Winter  :)  :)

I don't like too much heat, but no guarantee of heating in Winter was awful.

Take care all and chins up! Mark  :D  :D  ;D

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 31 October 20 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Very positive thoughts Mark, I definitely need to do some of that and some blessing counting. Great to get your boiler fixed and able to keep warm.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 31 October 20 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Roobarb - your Matalan jumper wasn't 'Papaya Classic Super Soft Round Neck Jumper' at £10 by any chance was it?   I ordered 2 of these in black and oatmeal (3 other colours) - only worn the black so far but really is such a comfortable jumper to wear and so so soft.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 31 October 20 12:45 GMT (UK) »
No Annette, but similar, it's the cable knit one, still a bargain at £12.50. I like Matalan for casual wear.
By the way, when I entered the code from my voucher it wouldn't accept it without the hyphens. I wonder if that was the cause of the problem you had in the shop.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham