Author Topic: Metcalf/ Hardwick / Lamb marriages  (Read 711 times)

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Metcalf/ Hardwick / Lamb marriages
« on: Saturday 31 October 20 03:08 GMT (UK) »
hello all - any help appreciated on this matter please.

John William Hardwick (1863 - 1927) (father george Hardwick mother Elizabeth Ann Rodgers) marries Isabella Metcalf 1870 - ?? in 1889 (Yorkshire North RidingVolume9dPage638). Daughter Annie Elizabeths birth certificate confirms parentage. 1891 census shows them together, and Isabella's birth place as Loftus.

Marriage then found 30 March 1895 John William Hardwick and Isabella Hymer Lamb (Lynesack and Softly, Durham, England)
1901 census shows John and Isabella - (Johns occupation shown again as Slater, this along with age and birth place confirming is the same JW) (Isabella's birth place now shown as Durham - suggesting it is a different person) and a new child Hannah.

Annie Elizabeth is living with maternal grandparents on 1901 census date - again suggesting mother had died

Question
1. Can anyone find a death for Isabella Hardwick nee Metcalf. (between 1890  1895 probably)
2. do you agree this is the same John William Hardwick

many thanks for your time

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Metcalf/ Hardwick / Lamb marriages
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 October 20 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like it is the same man. The marriage certificate should show whether or not he is a widower.

In case you don't have it, another child of John William and Isabella Hymer LAMB:
George Edwin  born 15 April 1897, bap 18 Jun 1897 at Lynesack and Softly, Durham, buried 26 June 1897.

Modified to add:
Hannah and George's mothers maiden name on the GRO is LAMB

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 October 20 03:42 GMT (UK) »
Certainly looks like it is the same man. The marriage certificate should show whether or not he is a widower.

In case you don't have it, another child of John William and Isabella Hymer LAMB:
George Edwin  born 15 April 1897, bap 18 Jun 1897 at Lynesack and Softly, Durham, buried 26 June 1897.

Modified to add:
Hannah and George's mothers maiden name on the GRO is LAMB

thanks so much for confirming this and for additional child. Lamb is not my direct line, so more interested in what happened to Isabella Metcalf - would like her death certificate if i can trace the death.

Thanks for your time on this - really helpful

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 31 October 20 04:10 GMT (UK) »
Looks like she did a runner?

"I, JOHN WM HARDWICK, of 9 Kent-street, Middlesbrough, HEREBY GIVE NOTICE that I will not after this date be responsible for any Debts incurred by my wife, Isabella Hardwick.
Dated this 7th April, 1893
JOHN W. HARDWICK"

Daily Gazette For Middlesbrough, 13 April 1893 and 11 April 1893

Offline Cnthree3

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 31 October 20 04:16 GMT (UK) »
Looks like she did a runner?

"I, JOHN WM HARDWICK, of 9 Kent-street, Middlesbrough, HEREBY GIVE NOTICE that I will not after this date be responsible for any Debts incurred by my wife, Isabella Hardwick.
Dated this 7th April, 1893
JOHN W. HARDWICK"

Daily Gazette For Middlesbrough, 13 April 1893 and 11 April 1893

Oh WOW!! how interesting a story that is! i will search for her further now to see if she appears somewhere else later on - also explains why child might have been with Parents - she may have taken her with her! Makes you wonder what was going on in their marriage

thank you so very much!! Its sad, but wonderful to find a little story like this.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 31 October 20 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Happy to help.

I would be very interested to see what he puts as his marital status on the second marriage. I couldn't find any Isabella HARDWICK (or variations) or METCALF deaths of about the right age between 1893 and 1895. Intriguing.  ;)