Author Topic: Chilling Murder Repeats Itself 157 Years Apart - tale of strange coincidence  (Read 3704 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling Murder Repeats Itself 157 Years Apart - tale of strange coincidence
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
What incredible coincidence that your son and his friend share some bloodline ancestors and that your OH once taught this boy's older sisters.  When you think on these stories we are coming up with I wonder if some connections really are destined to meet up again.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline DianaCanada

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Chilling Murder Repeats Itself 157 Years Apart - tale of strange coincidence
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Just to clarify, my OH is my second husband.  Still on good terms with the ex, though!  :)  The ex's family have deep roots in Quebec and New England with lines going back to the 1640's in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire.  Eventually they made their way north and ended up in Canada in the early 1800's.  My OH is more recent, but much earlier than mine on his father's side, mother born Denmark.  However, my pure English roots make them much easier to research!
Of course, many people with roots in small towns are related to each other, and seem to take it for granted.  I didn't know many of my relatives, so that seemed wonderful to me.

Offline danieloftyne

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 14 March 21 11:18 GMT (UK) »
One of my ancestors George walton married a lady named Margaret day 3 generations later my great cousin also named George walton married a lady also named Margaret rose day he had no prior knowledge of the family history incidentally I am river tyne lass new found cousin notice the similarity in our names 😊😊
Walton, Jones, Parker, Tipping,Nicholson, morrow,young,arrowsmith,Elliott, Anderson, ring rose, scrimshaw,hogarth,stewart

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 14 March 21 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Just going back to the first post reminds us that some things don't change:

"As a warning to female virtue and a humble monument to female chastity, this stone marks the grave of Mary Ashford who on the twentieth year of her age having incautiously repaired to a scene of amusement without proper protection, was brutally violated and murdered on 27th May 1817"

Victim-blaming still persists.

Offline carlineric

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 14 March 21 13:17 GMT (UK) »
I discovered a great grand uncle had been killed in the Winter Quarters mine disaster in Utah (worst disaster at the time in USA with over 200 miners killed) along with a namesake son. Not only had his wife lost her husband and son she had also lost several brothers, brother in laws and cousins. One of her brothers had been killed in an earlier mine disaster in Wyoming. His widow subsequently married another brother who was also killed at Winter Quarters along with a son and stepson. Both the son and stepson were called James (they luckily had different middle names) and both were born in 1882.

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 14 March 21 14:06 GMT (UK) »
There are two enormous coincidences in my tree-

1) I got in contact with some cousin many times removed because their tree was online- they, along with our ancestors, were born, raised and still lived in Cornwall, whereas my side moved away and I've lived in Bedfordshire all my life. To my bewilderment I later discovered that they got married in the church next to my house!

2) I found a Rootschat Rellie on here who shares my 9th great grandparents. He was born in the same hospital in the same month and the same year as my mother, two and a half thousand miles away!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Daniel, it is great to discover that we are 'cousins' through two Tyneside Pilots.  :D Your ancestor being Richard Bonner Young and mine his younger brother, Philip Young.  Our joint ancestors their parents John Young (also a pilot) and his wife Ann Young nee Fenwick.  With heritage like this it is probably not too surprising that we both chose to feature the river 'Tyne' in our names.  ;) I do have the coincidence of another cousin on here but they are from my paternal side.
Greetings, cousin Daniel!  :)

Mike, re Victim blaming I agree this has been going on for a long time. About time this is stopped.  A good while back I remember coming across an old article in the Newcastle Evening Chronicle whilst searching for something else. (Sorry, can't remember title or date) The article was about a man who had assaulted a young woman.  However, bizarrely on the same night he had rescued someone from drowning in the Tyne.    In court, he was praised for the rescue and his assault charge was dismissed as far as I can recall.  I felt outraged however when I read that the young woman had been told off and she was told that she had had no business to have been out that time of night and not to do this again!! 
Another one which staggered me...  In a local cemetery is a CWGC grave of Jean Watson Moore. 

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/123092666/jean-watson-moore
I do local war history research as a hobby and I discovered that she had been murdered by her boyfriend. (Quite a few articles about this) He was going to be hanged until evidence came forth that she had not been 'pure' and then this was dropped to a prison sentence.  Hard to believe that she seems to have been judged in the case of her own murder. :'(

Thanks to all who have continued to post - all very interesting!
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 21:32 GMT (UK) »

I do local war history research as a hobby and I discovered that she had been murdered by her boyfriend. (Quite a few articles about this) He was going to be hanged until evidence came forth that she had not been 'pure' and then this was dropped to a prison sentence.  Hard to believe that she seems to have been judged in the case of her own murder. :'(

Could this mean that she had been unfaithful or had hidden a promiscuous past from him and his response was regarded like a crime of passion? That there was some 'justification' for why he acted with spontaneous aggression?

One of mine caved a man's head in with a handspike while drunk. He even started it, from the sounds of things, however the victim was equally drunk and insulted my ancestor enough that my guy got away as 'not guilty', presumably on grounds of provocation!

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 March 21 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I haven't found any murderers or other violent criminals in my tree.  I have several murder victims, though, and also a few petty criminals.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis