Author Topic: Where did she work ?  (Read 426 times)

Offline julie66

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where did she work ?
« on: Sunday 01 November 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,  My g grandmother , Edith Matilda Bailey, had two illegitimate children.  First my grandad George William Bailey, 5 June 1911 Whissendine, baptised 1911 St.Andrews, Whissendine.
Second , Arthur Aden Joseph Bailey, born 1914, baptised and buried at St. Andrews Whissendine, age 4 months.  Edith went on to marry in 1916 to Albert Joseph Underwood.  In 1911 she was working as a servant and living in Garthorpe, Leicestershire with Henry and Richard Welbourne and would be about six months pregnant with my grandad. 

Probably a long shot but is there any way of finding out her place of employment at the time my grandad was conceived ?  Also Aden seems an unusual name and could possibly be a clue to Arthur's father.  George William was likely named after Ediths dad George William Bailey.

Thanks in advance

Julie

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where did she work ?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 November 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Probably a long shot but is there any way of finding out her place of employment at the time my grandad was conceived ?

Could be where she was living in 1911? 
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 November 20 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Garthorpe is a small village it didn't have a Manor or Hall the closest would be Saxby Hallm which is now a wedding venue pkace
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline julie66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 November 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi, There or nearby.  Needle in a haystack. 

Julie

Offline julie66

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 November 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Garthorpe is a small village it didn't have a Manor or Hall the closest would be Saxby Hallm which is now a wedding venue pkace
Have

If she was a domestic servant then I suppose she could be working in any household.  They seem to be ten a penny back then.  I wonder if she was staying with family in Garthorpe until the birth and then had them baptised in Whissendine.

Thanks

Julie