Author Topic: WW2 Help needed  (Read 455 times)

Offline gwenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Help needed
« on: Monday 02 November 20 11:28 GMT (UK) »
Good day to you,  I am not very good at explaining my self so hope you can understand my message:
My father was in ww2, I would like to know did all service people have a 'named regiment' they  were in. The nearest I can find of my father is Certificate of Transfer to the Army Reserve, with R.A. Field ,written on it, does this mean anything.  I have his army number and a few other pieces and also I applied and received from MOD his war records but I cannot understand very well.  Thanks for reading .

Online Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Help needed
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 20 11:51 GMT (UK) »

guest189040

« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 November 20 11:59 GMT (UK) »
In 1940 the Artillery Regiments were reorganised to make them more efficient and adaptable in their movements.

So yes, changing Regiments would have been an occurrence.

My own Father sent the War in Saighton Camp outside Chester on the Anti Aircraft Batteries protecting Liverpool, or rather trying and failing.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 November 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »
The document you are referring to is showing his release from active service in the field branch of the Royal Artillery, essentially at the end of his service.

The field branch had around 250 field regiments (the Wiki list is nowhere near comprehensive), equipped with field guns (a net search will help) each regiment known by a number.  He may have served in another branch.

Some of his record will be straightforward to interpret but if you would like help to track his service then if you post parts of it to start then help will I am sure be forthcoming.

His name and number would be a good start as would the form known as AF B 103 (look top right of the form) his Service and Casualty Form and the one known as B 102 which has columns headed Part II Order/Postings/Offrs inits/Part II Order/Postings/Offrs inits/Part II order/Promotions/Offrs inits.

These will give the outline and we can move on from there.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gwenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 02 November 20 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information, now I know he was in Royal Artillery , 
 On his Record of Service card it has  Rank: Gnr  (could this be gunner) also it has G.S.C  any ideas ?
Thank you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 November 20 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Gnr is indeed the abbreviation for Gunner, the bottom rung on the rank ladder in the RA.

GSC is almost certainly General Service Corps into which men were initially enlisted while the system worked out the best place for them.

However, in deciphering  a record it is always best to be able to see the original as context and dates can change what something means, although not in this case.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline gwenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 20 12:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, Max D, Biggles50 and Kloumann, very much appreciated x