Author Topic: Possible Quaker Marriage at The Old Meeting House, Birmingham  (Read 729 times)

Offline Oldhasbeen

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Possible Quaker Marriage at The Old Meeting House, Birmingham
« on: Monday 02 November 20 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

My great-great grandfather Samuel Moore married great-great grandmother Jane Hicks 3rd September 1853

On the Marriage Certificate, it says it took place at The Old Meeting House, Birmingham, which appears to be a Quaker meeting house.

It also says that the marriage was "in accordance with the Rites and Ceremonies of the Presbyterians by Certificate" - could someone explain what this means?

Also, the marriage was performed by George Dawson, I wondered whether this could be the (moderately) famous George Dawson, who preached the "civic gospel" and supposedly influenced Joseph "Brummagen Joe" Chamberlain?

I attach an extract of the marriage cert

Thanks for your help

Garry Brooks

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Possible Quaker Marriage at The Old Meeting House, Birmingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 November 20 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Presbyterianism and the Quakers (Society of Friends) are separate denominations, but they both sometimes use the term 'Meeting House'. In this case, there's nothing to suggest any Quaker connection.

I can't answer your question about George Dawson, I'm afraid, but there may be places where you can research Presbyterian church history in general; or you might find other records from the Old Meeting House such as minute books, or else newspaper reports etc, which can tell you more.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Tricia_2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • "Family ~ link to our past, bridge to our future"
    • View Profile
Worcs / Glos: Neal Neale Jeynes Jeens Geans Harris Roper Ropier Colley Dyer Heeks Bayzand Hampton Bishop Cole Elton Littlehales McGowan
Glamorgam: Hampton Thornton Svombo Swambo Swanbo Keefe O Keefe Shanahan Shannon Doyle Maldoon Muldoon Davies Llewellyn Jones
Birmingham: Neale Sarjant Cole Hiley Berridge Tirebuck