Author Topic: Accuracy of occupations on passenger lists  (Read 385 times)

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
Accuracy of occupations on passenger lists
« on: Tuesday 03 November 20 02:12 GMT (UK) »
I have a family that came over from Wellington Somerset to Australia.

Census (Somerset) 1841 and 1851 have the husband listed as a "Maltster & Brewer"
Although the 1852 passenger list has him listed as an Agricultural Labourer.

I can see how these occupations could interrelated, but also can be very different.

Were passenger list occupations typically accurate?
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Accuracy of occupations on passenger lists
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 03:14 GMT (UK) »

Typically accurate? Yes probably.

The less accurate would be the immigrants who promote themselves.

A Farm Labourer in England may want to be a Farmer in Australia.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 05:51 GMT (UK) »
I have seen numerous examples on the UK censuses of Brewing or related trades, having additional work eg “Brewer and Farmer”. As you only have him on one census as a Maltster it is difficult to know if he had previous occupations. Did he marry in the UK and if so what was his occupation on his marriage certificate?

It may be that ag labs were in demand in the colony at that time so your ancestor may have told them what he thought they wanted to hear.   :)

I know they lied about their ages at times, so could easily have done the same with their occupation.

Do you know if he continued with the ag lab work in Australia, or did he go back to the brewing trade?

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 07:29 GMT (UK) »

It may be that ag labs were in demand in the colony at that time so your ancestor may have told them what he thought they wanted to hear.   :)

I think that is the key sentence in the quote.

Of course a Brewer and Maltster may also be employed by a Brewery and be out of work, therefore taking up other work he or she could do.
 ----------
My Family were Brewers and Maltsters from early 19th Century and also Tanners, running two successful Businesses and this is known from Town Directory Entries, Property Deed Registrations and Wills. His Son carried on business as a Tanner and had other interests.

Another Son took over the Brewery but was more interested in the Leather side, being a property Trustee and the Quakers according to Family Deeds, Wills and Quaker records.
 ----------
Some 'Farmer and Brewers' because they grew Wheat or Corn, might have a second business as a Brewery, because they were growing one of the main mashing ingredients.

Mark

Offline waynenort

• RootsChat Senior
  • Living in a land down under
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 12:14 GMT (UK) »
I have seen numerous examples on the UK censuses of Brewing or related trades, having additional work eg “Brewer and Farmer”. As you only have him on one census as a Maltster it is difficult to know if he had previous occupations. Did he marry in the UK and if so what was his occupation on his marriage certificate?

I know they lied about their ages at times, so could easily have done the same with their occupation.

Do you know if he continued with the ag lab work in Australia, or did he go back to the brewing trade?

Sorry, I should have given a bit more detail. It was both the 1841 and 1851 Census that he was recorded as a Maltster and at the same residence over that 10-year period. He was 31 years in 1851. So I figure his occupation as a Maltster was his trade up until that year.

Then the following year the family is said to have immigrated.  I found it a little odd that the occupation was different, which made me doubt I had the correct passenger list.

The family is definitely the correct line as their parents are listed on the husband and wife's death certificates in Australia... and the children's names with ages all match.

Maybe they did want to go into farming. Although I haven't found his occupation in Australia yet.

This will be my next project :)
NORTON (Kent), KEECH (Dorset), MOOR / MOORE (Kent), HOCKING (Dorset / Somerset), LEVI (City of York), SANDWELL (Kent), CHAFFIN  (Dorset / Somerset), STRONG (Dorset)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 12:58 GMT (UK) »
I have heard of immigrant labour being used to clear the land for farming/grazing.

The family may have been given land grants.

Offline Ray T

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I suspect that some of the occupations may be aspirational. I have one who described himself as “medical” on the manifest and went on to practise as a doctor. In the UK he had been a hatter although he had run a herbalists shop for some time.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 13:53 GMT (UK) »
I have a family that came over from Wellington Somerset to Australia.

Census (Somerset) 1841 and 1851 have the husband listed as a "Maltster & Brewer"
Although the 1852 passenger list has him listed as an Agricultural Labourer.

I can see how these occupations could interrelated, but also can be very different.

Were passenger list occupations typically accurate?

The occupations were whatever the passenger told the booking clerk.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.