Author Topic: John Peter Burns  (Read 1158 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: John Peter Burns
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 04:55 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Some questions if I may....

Does that d.c. show any details about his marriage to Agnes, if so, please confirm what is recorded on that transcription. 

How certain are you that the chap who died in 1942 had been previously married to Agnes?  Her grounds for divorce seem to show a serious flaw in his behaviour. 
 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230647603 Australian Star 29 August 1900
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/230642841 Aust. Star 4 Sept 1900
Decree Absolute https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14360771 SMH 11 Oct 1900

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 05:13 BST (UK) »
Parents' names are given for him on the NSW BMD index.  I'm assuming that you have these parent names from his birth or from his marriage?

Death registered at Redfern. 1942 #29778
John Peter BURNS
Parents: Laurence, Catherine

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupoflife

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 13 October 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
Wondering?... NSW marriages
60/1900 Margaret FLANAGAN and Thomas DUNN; Sydney
7281/1919 Margaret DUNN and John BYRNES; Sydney

The Daily Telegraph 28 Jun 1934 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/246444357
I, JOHN PETER BURNS, known as Byrnes, of American nationality, born at Illinois, and resident fifty-five years in Australia, now residing at 237a Henderson Road, Alexandria, intend to apply for naturalisation under the Nationality Act, 1920-30.

https://www.naa.gov.au/explore-collection
John Peter BURNS (BUYRNES) - Naturalization (can request a copy for a fee)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 14 October 21 00:52 BST (UK) »
Brilliant find, cupoflife!

Given the marriage for Margaret Flanagan to Thomas Dunn there's this birth which, perhaps, is the Theresa listed in John Burns death certificate.

NSW births
1910 #347, registered Sydney
Theresa M DUNN
only parent listed: Margaret

There are births and deaths for these female children which may fit with the two deceased children shown on that death certificate.
All registered Sydney, all with only mother shown - Margaret
Birth 1908 #31918 Margaret A DUNN
Death 1909 #145 Margaret A DUNN

Birth 1907 #20783 Mary M DUNN
Death 1907 #7479 Mary M DUNN

Speculation only: Perhaps Margaret had to wait for a divorce or the death of Thomas DUNN before she could marry John.  It would seem unlikely, given that no father is named for any of the children, that Thomas DUNN was their father??

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 14 October 21 01:21 BST (UK) »
Quite a lot of existing information on this thread last year

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=839715.msg7056655#msg7056655

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dunscore

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 00:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your replies.  My apologies, some info I sent was doubled up from last year.
John's mother was not born in the USA.  His parents names as shown on his Death Certificate were Laurence and Catherine.  There is no indication on the DC that he had been married previously, divorced or there had been a child born to that marriage.
The baby died aged 7 weeks and is buried in an unmarked grave at Rookwood, in an area that is now almost inaccessible.  It was originally for stillbirths and tiny babies who died.  I have been making enquiries re having a plaque made to at least acknowledge her existence.  This would have to be in a different area of Rookwood which is only for stillbirths and children.
John Burns address at time of his death was certainly 237a Henderson Rd. Alexandria.

I am not 100% sure that the John Peter Burns who died in 1942 was the one married to Agnes, but his DC would indicate that it was him.  His birth place shown as Illinois, same as his marriage cert.

Whether a descendant of Theresa Burns (assuming she has one) would know anything of John's previous marriage to Agnes, is probably doubtful anyway.  I hope he treated his second wife a lot better than he treated my Grandmother during their short marriage. It seemed that marriage (10 months) was doomed from the beginning, according to the Trove articles and the Divorce papers which I have!

Thanks again everyone.
Dunscore

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 00:32 BST (UK) »
The baby died aged 7 weeks and is buried in an unmarked grave at Rookwood, in an area that is now almost inaccessible.  It was originally for stillbirths and tiny babies who died.  I have been making enquiries re having a plaque made to at least acknowledge her existence.  This would have to be in a different area of Rookwood which is only for stillbirths and children.......

Violet BURNS grave is located in the Presbyterian section 6D_Zone A/#/3798 as per Rookwood's online Deceased Search.   https://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/deceased-search-engine

You may find a helpful pdf linked here: 
 (about page 54 of 74 of the pdf) http://catalogue.sag.org.au/attachments/31957/RookwoodSectionNotesAndMaps.pdf    ..... Section 6D
Section 6D has been divided into five parts: .....  Part 2 – Graves 2389-3996 – commences at the centre of Rows 33 & 34 and continues to
Row 50 – alternate numbering.

ADD
I have posted info on the other thread, and I have asked for consideration to merge the two threads.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 03:04 BST (UK) »

I mention this as the Rookwood Cemetery's Old Presbyterian Section has the grave of Violet BURNS, the baby who succumbed in 1897.  I have posted the details for her grave location.  It is not a separate section just for stillbirths or babies.  There are graves in Old Presbyterian Zone 6D for male and female children, and for male and female adults.   The Zone is fairly easy to locate, and commences at the 'round about' corner of Barnet and Van Vorst Drive and is in a 'triangular' area back from that corner in a north-westerly direction.   

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 19 October 21 05:26 BST (UK) »

I also obtained a Transcript for a Catherine Burns who died 1927.  The informant to her death was her daughter Agnes.  Her religion was given as Church of England (whereas John's was shown as RC). 

Catherine's spouse was James Burns (same name as given on John's marriage to Agnes McDougall in 1896).  The children of the marriage of Catherine and James were Agnes, Clara and Ruby, Living and 1 male and 3 females deceased.

John died in Alexandria Municipality and Catherine in Redfern Municipality.

Is this mother and son and can anyone shed any light on John in particular?

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/16381844 SMH 20 April 1927, funeral announcements, her husband was James and he was alive and residing at 119 Pitt St Redfern, so she was a wife, mother and a grandmother.  No mention of a son in the announcements.

Sands Directories :  City of Sydney Archives ...  https://archives.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/

JM