Author Topic: Gough/Gaugh family - Limerick city area  (Read 615 times)

Offline suzee01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gough/Gaugh family - Limerick city area
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I am researching Hugh Gough/Gaugh and his family.
Hugh was born c1775 place unknown and died in 1871 with the death registered in the district of St Michael's in Limerick. At the time of his death he was a widower (I have been unable to find a death for his wife Ruth - maiden surname unknown) and a pensioner from a constabulary. When he was in Galway (Loughrea and Athenry) his occupation was listed as a policeman or peace police. By 1851 he was listed as a pensioner on his son's marriage certificate (William Gough married Eliza Cox in Limerick).
there were 3 children born/baptised in Galway between 1827-1833 - Thomas, Julia and Henry. No baptismal records have been found for William.
I have also been unable to find a marriage for Hugh and Ruth - were they married in Limerick and then went to Galway or married in Galway. I have checked the irishgenalogy.ie, rootsireland.ie and familysearch websites along with ancestry and Findmypast but unable to find any records for their marriage, a death date for Ruth or baptism for William or any other children.
Would there be any records that could indicate where he may have started his career as a policeman and was the position considered as part of the Irish constabulary.
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
S