Author Topic: wartimememoriesproject.com  (Read 1539 times)

Offline cravend

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
wartimememoriesproject.com
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does annyone have a membership to the subject project? I'm trying to find some information on the death, in 1943, of  a member of the 70th (Young Soldiers) Battalion Durham Light Infantry. Thank you. Pete

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: wartimememoriesproject.com
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 12:03 GMT (UK) »
If you mean this site
https://www.wartimememoriesproject.com
Then it appears to be free no membership required, though like any of these sites they welcome donations towards their running costs.

If you give us a name and some details we can have a look to see if anything turns up.

Boo

Offline cravend

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 13:44 GMT (UK) »
Boo,
As I read it most of the information is in their library. To access the library you need to be a subscriber which cost £25 "special offer". As this is likely to be a one off search I think it's a bit steep. Anyway the details that I am after concern Private John David Moore 4469039  70th Battalion (young soldiers)
Durham Light Infantry. He died 19 June 1943 in Darlington. I am trying to find the circumstances of his death. The CWGC (via Ancestry)just gives the barest details and I have been unable to find any info with a general trawl on the internet. Durham Archive just gives a brief description of the duties that they performed.
Pete

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Boo,
As I read it most of the information is in their library. To access the library you need to be a subscriber which cost £25 "special offer". As this is likely to be a one off search I think it's a bit steep. Anyway the details that I am after concern Private John David Moore 4469039  70th Battalion (young soldiers)
Durham Light Infantry. He died 19 June 1943 in Darlington. I am trying to find the circumstances of his death. The CWGC (via Ancestry)just gives the barest details and I have been unable to find any info with a general trawl on the internet. Durham Archive just gives a brief description of the duties that they performed.
Pete

Oh I see - sorry I didn't go that far into the site :)

According to his burial record, he died in the Borough Hospital
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QHV-L3V4-P9Q4-V?cat=996888

As such, its possible/likely his death cert (.pdf version available from the GRO) may give you a cause of death?

Boo

Offline cravend

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 18:08 GMT (UK) »
Boo,
Thank you. That's my next port of call i reckon
Pete

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 18:11 GMT (UK) »
fingers crossed it tells you what you wanted to know - at least at £7 its  cheaper than taking a chance on the site's library having any info.

Boo

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 20:14 GMT (UK) »
Just as an aside, I did try the newspapers but the Northern Echo (most likely for the Darlington area) for that time frame is not yet online.

The Darlington Libraries do have a full run of the Northern Echo so, if at any stage we get back to some sort of normality, either  a visit to look at the microfilms or a request in RootsChat for a look up may produce something of interest.

Boo

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 05 November 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
The casualty list simply states `Died` which indicates natural causes ? 70th Btn were not a frontline unit but were used to train young men 17+ for the frontline units. If he had been killed in Action /wounds/Accident then the casualty lists would state this . Died at Home usually natural causes/illness. The website you mention is a general one and will not hold any specific info on your man the only people who retain his service record are the MoD at the age of 19 there will be little recorded on them but the address you need is
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records
Hopefully the death cert will give you the answers it will be a little more detailed having died at home than say a KiA soldier whose cause of death is simply referred to as `on war service`
Best

Jim

Offline cravend

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 20 12:51 GMT (UK) »
Boo and Verries, Thank you for you input it is appreciated.
Pete