Author Topic: Greenway family - Castletown Berehaven area  (Read 368 times)

Offline suzee01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greenway family - Castletown Berehaven area
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello
I have been researching John Greenway and family who lived in the Castletown Berehaven area.
I have linked together his siblings from various documents such as wills:
Margaret bc 1811 and d 1898 Ringaskiddy Co Cork - she was a spinster and a draper when she lived in Castletown.
Mary bc ?? died 1883 Ringaskiddy - her age of 62 at date of death is incorrect as she would have been born in 1821 however her first child was born in 1827. Mary married Mathew Punch a shipwright/carpenter and lived in Ringaskiddy/Barnahely area. I cannot find a marriage record for them.
Ann bc 1812 and d 1886 in Castletown - she married Stephen Huggard in 1841 - there was no issue that I could find.

John was married in 1867 in Castletown to Mary Murphy and his parents are listed as Thomas Greenway and Margaret Power. Thomas' occupation was given as sailor. John was a widower however have been unable to find the first marriage - there is the possibility that he married a Catherine Puxley in 1834.

On the  Durrus history website I found a reference to a Thomas Greenway who died in 1852 and is buried in plot 75 Killaconeagh, Castletown and lists him as a master mariner. In the same entry for Thomas is a reference to John's date of death and him being buried in plot 73.

There is a Cork newspaper notice regarding the death of Margaret Greenway in 1863 in Castletown aged 91 and relict of John Greenway however a Dublin newspaper states she is the relict of Thomas Greenway - I believe that Margaret is the wife of Thomas who died in 1852 and they are the parents of John and his siblings although I have no evidence.

I have found John and Thomas in Tithe allotment book/ Ireland valuation office books and the will for John. John sailed between Berehaven and Swansea and had 2 of his nephews as apprentices in the 1840s.

I have been unable to find any information in the records for Thomas or Margaret - baptism, marriage or burial/death records or the baptisms of their children. I have searched irishgenealogy.ie and rootsireland.ie as well as ancestry and Findmypast and familysearch.

I would appreciate any assistance regarding Thomas and Margaret and the first wife of John.
Cheers
S

Offline suzee01

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenway family - Castletown Berehaven area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 20 12:54 GMT (UK) »
Hello
An addition to the above post I have just received the death certificate for Catherine Greenway - she died 1866, aged 54 and was a wife of a ship master - the informant was John Greenway. therefore  born c 1812.
As mentioned in the post above I believe she was the first wife of John Greenway and could be the Catherine Puxley that he married in 1832. I have not found a marriage record for them even though familysearch has the marriage listed for Newry Co Down and also in the Diocesan & Prerogative Marriage license bonds indexes for  Ross, Co Cork.
Does anyone know if these records can be accessed online or is it possible to do a lookup if possible.
Cheers
S