Author Topic: David Shanks of Stand, Raebog & Drumskioch  (Read 399 times)

Offline samalexander

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
David Shanks of Stand, Raebog & Drumskioch
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any information relating to David Shanks of the farms Stand, Raebog (Rawbog) or Drumskioch (Drumskeoch) ? I have found a couple of newspaper articles relating to David from 1826 advertising the farms of Stand, Raebog and Drumskioch from the Glasgow Herald stating that he "possessed the lands" of these farms and was advertising them for let.

The reason I am interested is because I am researching Thomas Shanks who farmed at Drumshangie Farm (near Stand), his eldest daughter Ann Jack Shanks married John Allan and the couple then lived at Raebog Farm. Thomas' father was also named David Shanks. His father, David was deceased before 1841 so I know very little about him but I am wondering if the David mentioned in the newspaper articles could be Thomas' father given the connections to these farms...

Any help would be much appreciated!
Sam

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: David Shanks of Stand, Raebog & Drumskioch
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 13:06 GMT (UK) »
Use the Search feature on this site there have been many posts over the years that might help you until the others start to chirp in.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline samalexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 13:30 GMT (UK) »
Use the Search feature on this site there have been many posts over the years that might help you until the others start to chirp in.

Don

Thanks Don, I noticed your comments on several other posts relating to Shanks families. I've sent you a private message about this.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 20 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I've been sidetracked as many have today.  Thomas' death will tell you who his parents were and you can get that here https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk  Also, who were their children and year of birth. 

I have a Thomas son of David/Janet Black born Hill of Drumgray 1829 but he married Mary Gardner Kirkwood and died 1912 in Denny.  And another David over at Gains but he died 1848. My other New Monkland Shanks go back to late 17th early 18thC. 

Don

Offline samalexander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 20 08:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Don, I know who Thomas' parents were - they were David Shanks & Jane Thomson. Thomas died in 1896 and his son John recorded his parents incorrectly. The concrete evidence I have for Thomas' parentage is the 1877 death record of his brother William Shanks. Thomas signs the record "Thomas Shanks, brother, Drumshangie" and he states that their parents were:
"David Shanks (farmer) & Jane Thomson", both deceased.

The David Shanks mentioned in the original post who possessed the lands of Stand, Raebog & Drumskioch is a possible candidate for Thomas' father given the same name David and the fact that Thomas farmed at Drumshangie (which is nearby and accessed through Stand) and that Thomas' eldest daughter Ann Shanks married John Allan in 1869 and moved into Raebog Farm.

My original post is to see if I can find out more about David Shanks of these lands.

Thanks
Sam

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
March 13 1826 in the Herald and it states…
The following farms on the Estate of Rochsoles are to be sold…
Rourdhcraig and Windyedge  - John Waddell
Dalmacouder – John Waddell
Stand – David Shanks
Drumskioch and Raebog – David Shanks
Woodhead – John Hamilton
Drumshangie
Whitehill and Connespie Parks

These are being sold by the Estate not the individuals.  At the bottom it tells the reader who to contact, etc.

Col John Gerard died in 1804 his eldest son and heir Alexander took over the Estate and what he is doing is trading assets for cash and moving to Austria.  Waddell and Shanks may or may not be portioners but as the Superior Gerard can sell it all which the Estate is doing.  It doesn’t mean Waddell and Shanks are out it just means they are part of this Sale.  They may have purchased these farms outright from the Estate I do not no.

I do not see any Estate papers for Rochsoles but there is an 1825 Inventory/Trust Disposition on Scotlands People it might list his assets by name and individuals associated with them. 

I have no knowledge of David/Jane Tomson but I see one birth of a child named John to a David/Jean Thomson born in 1795. 

Don

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Waddell and Shanks may or may not be portioners but as the Superior Gerard can sell it all which the Estate is doing.  It doesn’t mean Waddell and Shanks are out it just means they are part of this Sale.  They may have purchased these farms outright from the Estate I do not no.
John Waddell's sons Robert and William were still in Dalmacoulter in 1841 and his son, also John, was in Roughcraig.

In 1851 William Waddell was still in Dalmacoulter.

The 1865 Valuation Roll shows Archibald Gerrard as proprietor of both Dalmacoulter and Roughcraig, so John Waddell did not buy the farms in 1826. Windyedge is not listed separately.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Caltha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 17 November 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Coincidentally, or maybe not, there is a David Shanks who still lives in the area (I know him).  Also coincidentally, I am currently involved in looking at the development potential of that land at Drumshangie which has been severely degraded by several opencast sites.