Author Topic: John Griffin born 1878 in Manhattan NY (?)  (Read 331 times)

Offline Billwmahl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Griffin born 1878 in Manhattan NY (?)
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 15:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
     I’m coming back to the well to see if the Rock Stars here can locate a birth record for John Griffin born to Patrick and Nora (Kane) Griffin. In New York 9/1878 according to the US 1900 Census.

(https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HT-6LD7-Z96?i=10&cc=1325221&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMSJX-Y8Q)

I have located birth records for all the other siblings- Patrick William jr, Catherine Agnes, William, Thomas, Nora, Joseph and Lizzie which show all were born in Manhattan.

Patrick Griffin “the father” was a butcher in lower Manhattan most likely living at 19 Rector Street at the time of John Griffins birth (1878) according to the NYC directory. From 1872 – 1900 there is only 1 Patrick Griffin “butcher” in lower Manhattan listed for each year in the NY City Directories. They are all the same Patrick Griffin that is father of the subject “John Griffin”

Some of the birth records for the other children have errors in the mothers name.
For example- his brother Patrick William Griffin jr birth record identifies the mother as Honarah (Hand) Griffin but should actually be Nora Kane Griffin.

Thanks so much in advance for any help in finding a birth record for Patrick.

Bill

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Griffin born 1878 in Manhattan NY (?)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Civil birth records in NYC can be hit or miss in that era.  Not everyone was very careful about registering their child's birth.

I see baptisms for his siblings Patrick William & Catherine Agnes in St. James parish in Manhattan with the mother's name listed as Hanorah or Honorah Kane.  Nora is probably a nickname for Hanorah.  I didn't see one for John.

Offline Billwmahl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Griffin born 1878 in Manhattan NY (?)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 20 00:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Shellyesq,
Yes I found the others but not his.