Author Topic: Organisation  (Read 215 times)

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Organisation
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I apologise if this is repetition, but I used to do a lot of research (more than 10 years ago) and I am wanting to get back into it.
I have several questions:
is it worth investing in a database package? I used to use Family tree maker or is an online paid website good enough?
How do I organise all my documents?  Is it worth scanning them to add to the digital tree?

I am starting again as I don't have my original work and it feels a bit overwhelming as I will need to go back over it all.

Many thanks

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
Re: Organisation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 20 00:32 GMT (UK) »
I use FTM and have my main tree on the computer. I like having it private because it allows me to add people speculatively without the risk of others seeing and taking as gospel (I think functions like Anc Thrulines probably use info from trees even if they are private to users). Inaccurate public trees on websites pain me. Not that I can say my own tree is 100% correct of course, but privately I can alter it as much as I like. Having a tree on a paid site does have its advantages though, particularly since my parents have both done DNA tests and I can use my tree and the trees of others to sort out mutual ancestors.

As for how you organise things... I think that's a very individual thing. What works well for one person might not for another. It's certainly a good idea to organise thoroughly, something I regret not doing when I started out and now I have a sprawling behemoth and no motivation to go back and source it all from the beginning. At least doing it a second time will probably mean you recall a lot and it will be faster than before.

Offline uk4753

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 20 05:53 GMT (UK) »
I also use FTM on my local computer which is synched to Ancestry so my tree is backed up in the cloud.  But I also backup the FTM files on my computer as well.

As to organizing your records you might take a look at Microsoft OneNote or EverNote.  These programs will take any media you have scanned.  Here is one of many articles on the subject.

https://familylocket.com/using-onenote-for-genealogy-research/

:)

Wiltshire: JONES, BANKS
Yorkshire: FEVERS, SCALES
Kent:  RUMLEY, NIGH
London:  HUGHES, NIGHTINGALE

Offline *sara*

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 20 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou for your replies.

It is a daunting task sorting through everything but one I feel I must do as starting again.

I think I will revert to FTM as I am familiar with it.
And yes I am recalling facts as I go along.
Itís really exciting again to go over everything and hopefully get a bit further. 
This winter is the perfect time I think.

Thanks guys 😃😃