Author Topic: Where do I start?  (Read 3282 times)

Offline Woostie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Where do I start?
« on: Wednesday 04 November 20 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I live in a small village in north Wales and we are hoping to have a community day next year to celebrate the history of our village. I have been appointed as the researcher due to my interest in history/genealogy and whilst I am quite experienced in researching my own family, taking on the history of the village is quite daunting.

I'm planning to do a section on WWI and WWII and am really looking for advice as to the best websites and resources to use as I realise this could be very time consuming and don't want to waste valuable time on websites which have little information or are not user friendly.

So far I have a list of names of men who would be the right sort of age to have served in WWI from the census records. But obviously that only gives me names, addresses and approximate years of birth. A lot of the names are similar so trying to pick out which is the correct 'John Jones' out of a great long list when I don't have exact dates of birth etc could be frustrating to say the least. I'm guessing that the most likely service they would have served in would be the Royal Welsh Fusiliers but I doubt that would be exclusive.

So I look to you all for any advice you might have about how to approach this if you have done anything similar and also where should I concentrate my efforts?

Thank you  :D

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Where do I start?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 23:45 GMT (UK) »
Re WW1.  Over 60% of service records were burnt during the WW2 blitz.  Those that survived are on the subscription sites such as Ancestry or FindMyPast

WW1 pension records are also on the above sites

The Medal Roll Index is intact and can be found on the above sites but that will only give you name/rank/service number which means you have to know that info to determine the right entry - especially with common surnames such as Jones/Smith/Williams etc.

WW2 records are still with the MoD so you would only perhaps be able to compile a FH rather than a service background and again - it's dependant on available info

If any died in either war - then www.cwgc will have more details but a lot of the entries are dependant on what was known about the deceased
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 20 10:39 GMT (UK) »
Is there a local war memorial to at least give you names of those that did not survive?

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:20 GMT (UK) »

First check to see if anyone else has already done it or part of it?
Hist Society(ies) / Local / next biggest town / County / etc

Ray

"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Holyhead / Caernavon / Aberystwyth all have worthy resources ("museums").
Aber. has copies of ( all ) Church Magazines     

Also worth contacting The British Legion     

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

guest189040

« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Checkout:-

The Home Front Experience in Llandudno

Cheshire Military Museum in Chester.

The IWM North in Salford will be a great place to learn more about the periods in question.

I would also checkout what Civil Defense was in operation and how the village contributed to it.

Still on the military theme check what Militia activities there were in the 1800’s, my own 2xGreat Grandfather was in the Monmouth Militia and eventually enlisted in the 36th Foot.  Militia activities was also a way of supplementing income.

Offline ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:52 GMT (UK) »
I think I would start by searching the military records on FindMyPast and Ancestry with just the village name as the search term (as a keyword). Also search the newspaper archives on FindMyPast/BNA for the village name. And see what comes up on a google search for the village name and WW1/WW2.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk