Author Topic: Looking for baptism of Margaret Caldwell born ca 1796  (Read 1196 times)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for baptism of Margaret Caldwell born ca 1796
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 05 November 20 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Maybe the couple posted by Monica.

ROBERT CALDWELL married MARGARET THOMSON
21/08/1789 St Cuthbert'

The only Robert Caldwell to Margaret Caldwell marriage I can see on SP took place in 1739.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 November 20 02:55 GMT (UK) »
Dorrie, many thanks for the certificate. While not the right Margaret Caldwell, it does help to eliminate her from my search.  Thanks also, Monica, for details of the Leitch family - sadly, not mine.

My Margaret Caldwell (sometimes Coldwells) is proving very elusive. I've searched on SP, Ancestry, FindMyPast and FamilySearch without success.

In the 1851 census she was Margaret Caldwell, unmarried, house servant, aged 65, born Dalkeith, living in Duddingston.

In the 1841 census she was Margaret Coldwells, servant, age 52, born Midlothian, living in Dalkeith.

I couldn't find her in 1861, so it seemed likely that she died between 1851 and 1861. 

I found a possible baptism for a Margaret Coldwells on 31 August 1785 Dalkeith to John Coldwells and Alison Sanderson but was able to eliminate this one as she appears in the 1851 census in Stobsmills as Mrs Margt Philp with her brother John and mother Mrs Alison Coldwell.

I do have the certificate for the unknown Coldwalls who was buried on 8 June 1851 in Dalkeith:
Widow Coldwalls, residence and parish Musselburgh, Order gotten by George Watson, relation a friend, cause Paliaze? 60 years

but this seems unlikely as she was married and died in Dalkeith only a few months after the 1851 census entry.

Thanks again everyone for your feedback - I think this one goes back in the "too hard" basket!

Jan
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 06 November 20 09:18 GMT (UK) »
My Margaret Caldwell (sometimes Coldwells) is proving very elusive. I've searched on SP, Ancestry, FindMyPast and FamilySearch without success.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 06 November 20 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the reference, Forfarian, good advice - I've used SP extensively in my research. But Margaret Coldwells/Caldwell etc is particularly elusive :-)
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 06 November 20 21:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan the only thing I can add is if Margaret died before 1855 (Civil Registration) then her death may not have been recorded in the Old Parish Registers. These were usually written up by the minister or Session Clerk. Over the years lots of these records were lost or destroyed unfortunately. Some were kept in damp church vaults and literally disintegrated with time.

Keep safe,

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 06 November 20 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Jan, can I ask something? What is the info you already have on Margaret Caldwell? Is she related to one of your lines?

You seem to have her as unmarried too? Have you confirmed this elsewhere?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 November 20 22:55 GMT (UK) »
Good point Dorrie, I suspect that she did die before 1855.

Monica, I only assumed Margaret Coldwells was unmarried because of the 1851 census. I'm trying to work out how she's connected to my family. In the 1841 census with her is a Jean Neil age 6, who was the illegitimate daughter of Jane Lamond (the sister of my 3g grandfather) and William Neil. Jane Lamond was convicted of theft and transported to Tasmania in 1851, leaving her daughter in Scotland.
I'm guessing that Margaret Coldwells took care of her, so she must be related somehow.

Sorry if I'm confusing you :-) It's a complicated puzzle!

PS William Neil married in September 1835, just 5 months after Jean Neil was born!
England:

Offline Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 06 November 20 23:25 GMT (UK) »
I should have added that Jane Lamond was the daughter of James Lamond and Jean Coldwalls, who was born 27 February 1783 in Dalkeith, the daughter of David Coldwalls and Jean Louttit. I suspect that Margaret Coldwells is Jean's sister - but I can't find a baptism.
England:

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk