Author Topic: BRADLEY/MC AVOY MARRIAGE - ?Sorry in the wrong place duuuhh  (Read 495 times)

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
BRADLEY/MC AVOY MARRIAGE - ?Sorry in the wrong place duuuhh
« on: Thursday 05 November 20 10:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  ???
Two questions please, if anyone is able to assist.

Is there such a thing as a 1939 Register for NI? If there is, how can I access it, please?

I am looking for a marriage between William James BRADLEY (that is how the name is spelled on the birth certificate of their daughter Kathleen) and Catherine Mc AVOY. Kathleen was born 10 Feb 1926 and I have no idea if she had siblings. At the time of her birth, her parents were living at 11 Welsh Street and she was registered in Belfast Urban District 6.

The result of a search has given me a marriage in March 1919 In Urban No.12 R.C. between William James BRADY (not BRADLEY) and Catherine MC AVOY Registration No.1919/B1/2336/7/154
I don't understand the relevance of the numbers in that registration. Obviously, 1919 the year, and possibly B1 denotes the first quarter? As the names of the groom do not match how certain can I be that this is the couple that I am looking for? If I send for the full certificate, will it get me any nearer to my objective?

As a 2½year +/- was allowed, I gave 1923 as the year to base the search on. After pointing out the difference in the name of the groom a second search was done based on 1926 and that still came up with only the same marriage.

This is the first time I have had occasion to delve into the records of Northern Ireland and I am not finding them easy :( so any help would be very much appreciated.

OzzieJoan

MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: BRADLEY/MC AVOY MARRIAGE - ?Sorry in the wrong place duuuhh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Here's the marriage, is it him?

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1919/09662/5503812.pdf

1 March 1919, Wm soldier, at 20 Altear St, father: John Brady a soldier
Catherine McAvoy, a seamstress at 55 Thompson St, father: William, a laborer

at RC Church of St Matthews,  Urban #12, Belfast, Down

----------
someone else is better able to explain NI records than I am. I know that until 1922 they are at the site in the link above. After that, I have to look at my notes and bookmarks every time. I know they are available as follows:

Births 100 yrs or more in the past
Marriages 75 years
Deaths 50 years.

---------
edited to add: Witnesses at the marriage were William and Mary McAvoy. That might help you learn more about your Catherine's family, if this marriage is actually hers.

Online oldohiohome

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:09 GMT (UK) »
strategy would be to find the other siblings, especially the ones before Kathleen and see what the father's occupation was.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:25 GMT (UK) »
No need to start a new topic- just like previous error just click on 'report to moderator' but this time ask for this topic to be locked or merged so that all replies are posted in the same place.

I've also searched for and posted the marriage on other thread as well as birth of 1st child later in 1919 and details from Belfast directories-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=839794.msg7056810
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 20 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Again my thanks. I did find in a newspaper of 1916 that a soldier aged 21 had been sent home after being gassed. I thought it could be my man and now i will be able to check.
Thanks for telling me how to put my errors right. Hope I don't have to do it again.
OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 20 21:07 GMT (UK) »

someone else is better able to explain NI records than I am. I know that until 1922 they are at the site in the link above. After that, I have to look at my notes and bookmarks every time. I know they are available as follows:

Marriages 75 years
Deaths 50 years.

You need to bookmark this site, if you haven't already done so  ;D
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 20 02:01 GMT (UK) »

Marriages 75 years
Deaths 50 years.

You need to bookmark this site, if you haven't already done so  ;D
https://geni.nidirect.gov.uk/

KG

Thanks, I have now done that and I can see that it will be useful in the future.
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex