Author Topic: William James BRADLEY/ Catherine Mc AVOY marriage  (Read 515 times)

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
  • Mortimer Crest. Motto: Press Forward
    • View Profile
William James BRADLEY/ Catherine Mc AVOY marriage
« on: Thursday 05 November 20 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi,  ???
Two questions please, if anyone is able to assist.

Is there such a thing as a 1939 Register for NI? If there is, how can I access it, please?

I am looking for a marriage between William James BRADLEY (that is how the name is spelled on the birth certificate of their daughter Kathleen) and Catherine Mc AVOY. Kathleen was born 10 Feb 1926 and I have no idea if she had siblings. At the time of her birth, her parents were living at 11 Welsh Street and she was registered in Belfast Urban District 6.

The result of a search has given me a marriage in March 1919 In Urban No.12 R.C. between William James BRADY (not BRADLEY) and Catherine MC AVOY Registration No.1919/B1/2336/7/154
I don't understand the relevance of the numbers in that registration. Obviously, 1919 the year, and possibly B1 denotes the first quarter? As the names of the groom do not match how certain can I be that this is the couple that I am looking for? If I send for the full certificate, will it get me any nearer to my objective?

As a 2˝year +/- was allowed, I gave 1923 as the year to base the search on. After pointing out the difference in the name of the groom a second search was done based on 1926 and that still came up with only the same marriage.

This is the first time I have had occasion to delve into the records of Northern Ireland and I am not finding them easy :( so any help would be very much appreciated.

OzzieJoan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
GREGORY,DOOTSON,SEDDON,BOARDMAN Hindley/Westhoughton
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William James BRADLEY/ Catherine Mc AVOY marriage
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Questions about the 1939 Registered have been answered on the thread you started a few hours ago about it-
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=839780.msg7056674#msg7056674

The result of a search has given me a marriage in March 1919 In Urban No.12 R.C. between William James BRADY (not BRADLEY) and Catherine MC AVOY Registration No.1919/B1/2336/7/154
I don't understand the relevance of the numbers in that registration. Obviously, 1919 the year, and possibly B1 denotes the first quarter? As the names of the groom do not match how certain can I be that this is the couple that I am looking for? If I send for the full certificate, will it get me any nearer to my objective?

No need to send for the certificate- it's online (free)- date is 1 March.1919 and the groom's surname clearly written as BRADY-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1919/09662/5503812.pdf

At the time of her birth, her parents were living at 11 Welsh Street and she was registered in Belfast Urban District 6.
1924 Belfast directory shows 11 Welsh St. as Wm. McAvoy, labourer
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/wyzcomplete1924.htm

1918 William McAvoy still listed at 11 Welsh St.-
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/wyzcomplete1918.htm
Thompson St. is here-
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/tuvcomplete1918.htm
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 20 11:16 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the 1919 marriage for William James Brady & Catherine McAvoy shows his address as 20 Altcar St.

A son was born later in 1919 with parents William James Bradley & Catherine McAvoy at same address-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1919/01234/1513458.pdf
Note: births less than 100 year will not be listed and other records (marriages & deaths) for N.I. counties only go up to 1921.

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 20 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Oh Aghadowey, what a star you are! I imagine that you must be totally familiar with all these records in the same way I like to think I am with English ones.
I could never have managed it without you..
In gratitude, Ozzie Joan
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
PERRY,BROWN,DELL,WILSON,HOWSE,FURBY,CROXFORD,ELLIS,KEMPSTER,DRURY Oxford & Berks
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 20 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Likely your William Bradley-
Northern Whig, 19 May 1916: Mrs. Bradley, 20, Altcar Street, has been informed that her son, Private William J. Bradley, Royal Irish Fusiliers, is in the 2nd Western General Hospital, Old Trafford, suffering from gas poisoning. He is 21 ...
(also in Belfast Newsletter same date). From the above possibly born c1895 and father deceased by 1916.

Looks like Bradley family may have been at that address for quite a while.
Belfast Telegraph, 28 Jan.1944: PRISONERS OF THE GERMANS. Fusilier Joseph Campbell (Royal Irish Fusiliers), nephew of Mr. John Bradley, 20 Altcar Street, Belfast, previously reported missing, is a prisoner in German hands.
Belfast Telegraph, 10 Mar.1944: A radio letter from a Belfast war prisoner In Germany, 6949193 Fusilier ... has been received, addressed to Bradley, 20 Altcar Street.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 05 November 20 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Getting somewhere now-

John Bradley, wife Theresa and son William James in 1911 census living Altcar St.! Parent married 17 years, 2 children but one died before 1911-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Down/Pottinger__part_of_/Altcar_Street/218737/
This image gives the exact address- 20 Altcar St.-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002176750/

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline OzzieJoan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 20 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Oh my! As I said before, you are incredible. ::) So, please, can you tell me if all of these records you have sent for me were readily available and free on the internet? Or have you managed to access them because you have a paid sub to the site? I ask so that I can set myself up for future research in NI without having to ask for help.
Thanks again for all your time and assistance.
Just out of interest, I had managed to find the Newspaper notice re William being gassed. But I was just guessing that it was the right William for me.
OzzieJoan  :-*
MORTIMER Lancs & Yks
DEAN, Birstall and Leeds
COWELL I of Man/Wigan
SHAW Wigan
BROWN Oxford
HOWKINS Oxford
POWELL, Brecon & Mon
ARMSTRONG,BOXALL Sussex