Author Topic: Atkinson family  (Read 967 times)

Offline emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Atkinson family
« on: Thursday 05 November 20 14:22 GMT (UK) »
I've struggled and procrastinated on this line of family research for a while so would appreciate any pointers.

I'm looking specifically at the children of Robert Atkinson and Fanny Hancock who lived in Gainsborough (and Louth in 1911). They had seven children: Thomas (1892-1950), Ellen (1893-?), George (1895-1952), Robert (1898-?), Herbert (1900-1973), John (1902-?) and Annie (1909-1938).

The ones with deaths dated above are all accounted for but I'm not sure where to look for the missing ones. I have birth certificates for all three which give me exact DOBs but this only been helpful in one instance. I suppose Robert could have served in the latter years of the war but haven't been able to find him on any war dead listings. The names are all quite common so not easy.

Ellen was born 16/08/1893. Robert on 23/03/1898. John on 21/03/1902, all three in Gainsborough. Ellen I found working as a servant in 1911 at Fillingham Castle and I loosely pencilled in a marriage between her and Percy West in 1920 in Gainsborough.

There's a John Atkinson of the same DOB found in 1939 living in Downham, Norfolk which seems like a good possibility. I couldn't find a convincing death for him though but if he moved across the country it may be difficult to find having a name as common as his.

I've got nothing at all on Robert. I should mention that two of his brothers (George and Herbert) served in the navy so I'm open to the idea he did too.

Thanks for reading, any ideas appreciated!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Atkinson family
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 20 16:48 GMT (UK) »
If John or Robert died before 1969 their birthdate will not be on the death reg
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 20 17:04 GMT (UK) »
As you mention John on 21/03/1902, is in Downham, Norfolk on the 1939 Register, he is Single.

Possible deaths as you say in various places. No trace of other two, No West births mother Atkinson in Lincs but some elsewhere.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 20 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Re: Ellen. A Percy West dies in Louth in 1951 and using the probate search I can see he left his effects to Patsy Ellen West. Going back to the 1939 Register there's a Patsy West with the exact same DOB as Ellen Atkinson living in Skegness, married. Think this is her?

I need to double check against other Percy/Patsys (and variations) but seems a bit of a coincidence. Not really sure where the name Patsy would've come from though, how common was it to assume a new name/nickname?

Probably need to buy some certificates...

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 20 14:21 GMT (UK) »
Re: Ellen. A Percy West dies in Louth in 1951 and using the probate search I can see he left his effects to Patsy Ellen West. Going back to the 1939 Register there's a Patsy West with the exact same DOB as Ellen Atkinson living in Skegness, married. Think this is her?

I need to double check against other Percy/Patsys (and variations) but seems a bit of a coincidence. Not really sure where the name Patsy would've come from though, how common was it to assume a new name/nickname?

Probably need to buy some certificates...

Marriages Dec 1920   (>99%)
Atkinson    Ellen    West    Gainsbro'    7a   2043     Scan available - click to view
Bessant    Alice R    Johnson    Gainsbro'    7a   2043     Scan available - click to view
Johnson    Charles H    Bessant    Gainsbro'    7a   2043     Scan available - click to view
West    Percy    Atkinson    Gainsbro'    7a   2043

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 November 20 14:41 GMT (UK) »
Several reports of a Percy West, commercial traveller of Spilsby in the newspapers in the first half of the 1900's.

In 1939 there is a Percy West, commecial tea salesman at 8 Priory Road, Louth. DOB 16 Sep 1894. He is noted as married though his wife is not in the household.

Findagrave also has an image of his headstone at Louth, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/193724885/percy-west

Given the address of 8 Priory Road appears not only on the 1939 register but also on the probate (to Patsy Ellen) it looks very much like he is your man.

Deaths Mar 1954   (>99%)
West    Patsy E    60    Spalding    3b   67

Offline emeraldcity

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 November 20 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Several reports of a Percy West, commercial traveller of Spilsby in the newspapers in the first half of the 1900's.

In 1939 there is a Percy West, commecial tea salesman at 8 Priory Road, Louth. DOB 16 Sep 1894. He is noted as married though his wife is not in the household.

Findagrave also has an image of his headstone at Louth, https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/193724885/percy-west

Given the address of 8 Priory Road appears not only on the 1939 register but also on the probate (to Patsy Ellen) it looks very much like he is your man.

Deaths Mar 1954   (>99%)
West    Patsy E    60    Spalding    3b   67

Thanks for looking. I saw the listing of tea salesman Percy and took that to be him, although as you say he and his wife were in separate places on the date of the register being taken. I'll look into the newspaper reports too - thanks for the heads-up!

I guess I'd better order the marriage certificate to conclusively prove that the Ellen (aka Patsy) is the same woman I'm looking for but it would be quite the coincidence otherwise that she has the same DOB?

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 November 20 15:48 GMT (UK) »
I did look on freereg but the marriage isn't transcribed and not in the Lincs papers on FindMyPast.  There's a few venues in the Gainsborough district they could have married at as it extends beyond the town.  If the venue is known you could get a copy of the original register from the Lincs Registration Service and all the signatures would be those of the people involved. The GRO versions are transcribed but you sometimes have to take what you can get I'm afraid.

For birth and death certs it's slightly easier, if you know the district and approx time of registration (based on the GRO index), then Lincs Reg Service are really good at finding them. The Louth death cert in 1951 springs to mind as an example. Name, district and year is enough to place the order and get a copy of the original register printed onto a certificate.

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 20 16:02 GMT (UK) »
I knew there was a reason I was getting tingles when I saw the thread, the baptism for Herbert is on freereg. the address for the family given is Linden Terrace which is the street I lived on until I was about 6 and the church most of the Atkinson events for the period are listed at is Holy Trinity which is only a minute from the street.