Author Topic: Diary - Thursday, 5 November 2020  (Read 767 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Thursday, 5 November 2020
« on: Thursday 05 November 20 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Just popping in quickly again whilst waiting for my bus ..

Today in the North started bleak, grey, and cold on this  the first day of the second lockdown.  All seemed silent and still in my street apart from the usual sounds of the seagulls.  Later, on there was brightening  and blue in the sky amongst the clouds.
When I set off for work in the afternoon I thought I noticed a bit of a drop in traffic already.  Not many seen out walking about although there was one man out on my street cutting his front lawn.  I was quite surprised when I got on my first bus to notice that it was empty.  Only one other got on en route.   I really hadn't expected to notice such an impact straightaway.
A lot of the buses have hand sanitizers on board now.  Some have a nice fresh scent others have not.  Someone made me laugh recently when they told me an anecdote about their having used a bus sanitiser. This person said they had noticed what seemed like a smell of fish around and  wondered where the awful smell was coming from.  They then said that they noticed it was coming from their own hands after using a bus  hand sanitiser!   Thankfully, on the services I use I haven't come across anything that bad.

Part way we stopped to change over drivers and the pair stopped to have a good old chin wag.  I felt quite impatient and felt like saying to them 'come on now, I do still have to get to work you know'. 

I was curious to see what things might be like now in Newcastle.  Less people in Northumberland Street than last week but still quite busy.  Not at all like last time round.  Fenwick's has signs up announcing that their Christmas window will be a 'Virtual Reveal' this Sunday evening and that people can see this from the comfort of their own homes .  How very different it will all be in Newcastle this Christmas with no throng coming to the Christmas market and to see Fenwick's window display.

I have just finished work a little while ago and I am now waiting to go home.  Only a few people waiting around at the station.

.. Now I have just got on my bus.  I am the only passenger.  I can hardly believe it.  It feels a lot like last time and this is only the first day in.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline candleflame

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Thursday, 5 November 2020
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 November 20 22:58 GMT (UK) »
Lovely to hear your diary RTL. I notice they say that once the reveal of Fenwicks window is over, in the coming days there will be socially distanced viewing of it . I wonder where they’ll run the queue for that! Although the other shops will be closed won’t they till early December. Wonder if folk will take their exercise to view the window..........
North East of England

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 November 20 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks candle flame.  Well, I was in a hurry today and didn't see that part.  I don't know how and where they will run the queue for that either.  I think that will still mean a big crowd somewhere even if they do only allow one family at a time to view it.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 November 20 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Still battling on RTL, I don’t know how you do it.
Will you be working actually on Christmas Day?

I have always  wanted to do the food for homeless people , there are a couple of centres ,one nearby and a very big one in Manchester .
O H was not keen .We always had the family at our house in the latter years always ten ,of us. Christmas Dinner  at 3 O’Clock .
Pork loin and Turkey crown .
We loved it.
,So different now, all spread out and them wanting their own traditions .
Natural isn’t it.
If there had been any problem with them  having to oblige in-laws etc, I would  have  gone to the local Church where dinner was served to those alone
I would have helped then dined with the helpers whilst the entertainment was going  on.

There  was a big store in Manchester Candleflame ,Lewis’s .
Ther was a dome  and every floor had a hole in the middle ,so Father Christmas cane down a very very very long golden ladder ,to the Fairy Grotto
which had a different fairy story theme every year .
Children could visit and tell him what they wanted.
The holes in the floor were filled in after the Woolworth’s fire .
It was part of Christmas to visit Lewis’s .
I suppose it was like that at Fenwick’s .

Oh simple pleasures , where have they gone?
I have decided if I am doing Christmas dinner this year I am going to slow cook the pork loin I usually have ,in cider and herbs .
Do the crackling apart in the oven with sausages,stuffing ,bacon rolls roasties etc.
Says she !—- we might still be in lockdown !
But we will get through .
Cheerio, take care everyone.
Viktoria.

Offline carol80

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Edwin Stonehouse 1906-1970
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 November 20 23:52 GMT (UK) »
Nice to see you back RTL.
My Day;
Woke to rain, rain and more rain. It was cold, humid and wet. Had planned on catching up with friends today but it is a day to stay inside.
Spent most of the day on the computer trying to put together a tree for an elderly gentleman at the club I belong to. Very easy to trace back as he had lots of paperwork to go with names he was giving me. I guess it helps that he is over a hundred (just) and can still remember his great grandparents as tho it was yesterday. Just wanted a tree to pass on to his children. Job done.
The rain eased for about 20 mins. Checked the garden to find a flower on one courgette. So not long now.
Due to the wet weather very little fireworks so a quiet nite. A bit of T.V and then bed.
Stay Safe Stay Strong
Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stonehouse(York,Durham,Canada)Laurie(Scotland,York)Biddiss(All)Love(Scotland,Australia) Byers(Durham)Demaine(York)Dennison(York)Raine(Durham)Jefferson(Durham)Muir(Durham)
Johnston (Scotland)Hunter(Scotland)Johnson(York)
and many more.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 November 20 23:59 GMT (UK) »
Good to hear how you're getting on RTL, I hope the lockdown turns out better for you than the last time. Presumably they'll keep the public toilets open this time, I certainly hope so.

Carol, well done on putting together the family tree, I'm sure he'll be very pleased.

Viktoria,  whatever happens Christmas I'm sure you'll make the best of it as you do with everything.

My day:

Cloudy here too this morning but sunshine later on. A friend phoned, we'd been talking for a while when my doorbell rang, I assumed it would be a parcel delivery for me or to take in for my neighbours. Got a surprise when I opened the door, it was my friend L, she had been to the opticians in town and just called to say hello. Obviously she couldn't come inside and she couldn't stay long so we just had a few minutes chat where we were. I knew there was a reason for me doing the lawn edging! It was really chilly out at that point. Called my other friend back to continue our chat then had some lunch. My parcel from Matalan arrived, will wait a day or two before trying on the garments, I know they'll fit me anyway,

Out for a walk about 2pm, couldn't believe how much it had warmed up. Only a short walk as I'd arranged to meet my friend J later for a longer one.

The town I live in had been randomly chosen as one of three in England where mass testing would be done, it was to take place from November 23rd. It was hoped it would identify asymptomatic cases so that people could self isolate and reduce infection rates. Read in the news that  apparently it's been cancelled as the government has decided to focus its attention on Liverpool. No idea what's happening to the two other towns that were selected,

Did some work to the painting for art class tomorrow then out in the garden to cut back some plants. The sedums are still colourful but the rest of the perennials are about done,  although the winter bedding in the pots looks great.
Another caller at the front door later, it was my neighbour from across the road who is a postie, she was delivering a parcel from Boots. So many callers today!

Out at 5.30 to meet J, had forgotten it was bonfire night  there were fireworks banging and whooshing all around as we walked, my ears were ringing with it all. As we walked along the main road from town we were musing about where all the cars were going, there was quite a lot of traffic. On the way back a rocket landed in the middle of the road only a few feet away, that was a narrow squeak.

Chicken and pasta when I got home, finished off the strong wine, it was rather a large glass...
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 20 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I always like to have Christmas off and I am hoping to be off this year too for it.
Mind, tomorrow is my Birthday and guess what I will be doing for it?  Working a 12 hour shift.  Oh well, I suppose at the moment it doesn't matter too much as nothing much can be done just now.  Hopefully, I will be able to make up for it next year. 
Yes, I think your Lewis's must be similar to our Fenwick's.  It is quite a tradition to go and see the window display no matter what age you are.  I always used to take my son when he was little and my Grandson really enjoyed it last year. 

That is kind of you to put a tree together for elderly gent, Carol.

Yes, in one way I hope they keep toilets open in case of desperation but after reading what a risk these are a little while back I try not to use them if I can manage it.

Oh well, reluctantly I had better go to bed now. Full day ahead tomorrow.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 20 00:15 GMT (UK) »
For when you read this RTL,  I hope you have a happy birthday despite having to work long hours.  :-*
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 20 00:18 GMT (UK) »
RTL - lovely to see you back posting on the diary and as Viktoria says you’re still battling on... I know what you mean about hand sanitisers... they are all very variable in texture as well as smell!
Interesting how quickly the crowds have fallen away from the buses... still I’m sure you don’t mind that...
The big stores always put such a lot of effort into their Christmas windows... such a pity more people can’t see them... so much online now virtual tours of places like the V & A exhibitions, the British museum and even Country Livings Christmas Fair is online work shops you pay to join etc... good that some places are able to adapt so well..
Viktoria- your family Christmas dinner sounds delicious...I’m on the way to join you... if only!
My DiL out in Australia goes on Christmas morning to help with serving dinner to the homeless and single people..she did the same in NZ too when she could, very laudable...

My day...
The sun was shining so I soon got the sheets out on the line including the new pillow protectors I had delivered from Dunelm... it was pleasantly mild...
After breakfast I finished cleaning the other bedrooms, lounge, dinning room and I did all the inside windows except kitchen and conservatory... that’s tomorrow’s job! I even did the outsides of the ones the window cleaner can’t get to, by sitting on the windowsills... my they looked great when I’d finished all gleaming and able to see out.... sun had gone off the back ones by then so they could look awful tomorrow when the suns on them!
Thought I’d deserved a sit down with a coffee and a read after that...
After lunch we had a game of scrabble... I got well and truly beaten...now OH is one ahead....
Did the ironing straight after bringing the washing in and then cut up the new children’s Christmas duvet cover to make bags for gifts to be put in... got carried away and realised it was 6.30 so started dinner... Salmon cooked in the oven with cherry tomatoes, asparagus, carrots, broccoli stems and some of potato dish left from last night...I cooked some spinach added nutmeg, feta cheese and Greek yogurt put it in the blitzer to make a sauce...
Watched some tv... started another blanket using a different stitch but ended up undoing the whole lot as made a mistake as wasn’t concentrating properly!!
First day of lockdown and traffic through the village has definitely been a great deal quieter...
nothing earth shattering today... daughter messaged me for ideas for Christmas... good to see her not leaving it until the last minute!
That’s the lot for today.... how have others found it? Stay safe and well and smiling all..

Caroline

Added... 🎉🎉 Happy Birthday 🎉🎉 for tomorrow RTL... shame you’re working...

Few more additions!
How wonderful Carol that your elderly gent remembers his grandparents I’m sure you enjoyed doing his tree for him too...

Roobarb- my it must have been like Clapham Junction I at your house today with so many callers.... glad you got your walk in with your friend too despite having to try and avoid passing fireworks! I’m sure you enjoyed your large 🍷!
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK