Author Topic: Martin/Millar - Kingarth  (Read 745 times)

Offline stuartd96

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Martin/Millar - Kingarth
« on: Friday 06 November 20 06:27 GMT (UK) »
I’m trying to find out more information about Robert Martin and his wife Margaret Millar. They are likely the parents of my 4th great grandmother Margaret Martin who died in Greenock in 1874.

Her mother isn’t named in her death record and her father is listed as Robert Martin, master mariner. Her only daughters were called Margaret which would point to her mother’s name was likely Margaret. Looking at the death records of John Martin d 1863 and Catherine Martin d 1882 the parents are listed as Robert Martin (ferryman/seaman) and Margaret Millar.

I’m fairly content that Robert Martin and Margaret Miller are my 5th great grandparents. I can’t find a record of their marriage. I know they had at least 8 children:
Andrew b 1796
Moses b 1799
John b about 1801
Catherine b 1807
Fanny b 1810
Margaret b about 1811
Robina b 1813
Janet (I can’t find a record of her birth but she appears in the Sheriff court paternity index in 1833 as the daughter of the deceased Robert Martin, ferryman at Kerrycroy, Kerrymenoch).

Robert Martin most likely died in 1812 or 1813 according to Robina’s birth record. I don’t know when Robert Martin was born, when he and Margaret Millar and who their parents were.

A possible clue is in the 1891 census with Archibald Logan (grocer and grandson of Archibald Martin and Margaret Jamieson) was a visitor at my 3rd great grandparent’s house in Glasgow. Is it possible Archibald Logan is my 3rd great grandmother’s second cousin? If so, then that would make Bryce Martin and Ann McFee the parents of Robert Martin. Robert’s son, John, also has a son
named Bryce.

Margaret Millar was most likely born around 1768 according to the 1841 census. Looking at the parish birth records in Kingarth and Rothesay between 1760 and 1780 parents of children with the surname Miller include Hugh Miller /Elizabeth McCook, Isobel McGlassan and Mary Sharp, John /Christian Frazer, Archibald /Margaret Jamieson, William/Mary Sharp and Thomas/Mary Millar.

Any ideas on who could be the parents of Robert Martin and Margaret Millar? Do they have a gravestone?

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Martin/Millar - Kingarth
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 09 December 20 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi there  :)

Just been reading through your post. Wondered if you had come across this old post here on RC in connection to Bryce Martin and wife Ann McFee www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=515123.0

Just in case you are able to connect the dots  ::)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Re: Martin/Millar - Kingarth
« Reply #2 on: Monday 21 February 22 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have been researching the Martin family as well. I have found another line that may be of help to you

Bryce and Ann are the oldest generation I can trace. It appears they were Tenants of Lubas Farm. The farm buildings are now listed on Scotland's National Heritage

The house that is there now was possibly lived in by their grandson John who farmed it for a short while.

. There is a possible birth for him as "Bruce Martin son of Alex Martin tennant in Dunngill"
Possible siblings
- Robert 22May 1733
- Hanna 14 Oct 1734
- John 29 Jan 1744

I found a death for Alex Martin brother of Bryce

I have downloaded most of the Martin records in my direct line - my Gr Gr Grandmother was Margaret Martin daughter of John Martin and Martha Orr
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual