Author Topic: Missing Donald and Jean McPhail, Campbeltown, daughter Charlotte (1846-1892)  (Read 2588 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Donald and Jean McPhail, Campbeltown, daughter Charlotte (1846-1892)
« Reply #27 on: Monday 09 November 20 17:44 GMT (UK) »
www.findagrave.com/memorial/206174604/jean-mcphail

Some errors here. Jean died as showing in 1864 at Millknow. From her death reg that a family researcher has included online, her parents were actually Donald McLean, farmer, and Jean Stewart.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Donald and Jean McPhail, Campbeltown, daughter Charlotte (1846-1892)
« Reply #28 on: Monday 09 November 20 18:03 GMT (UK) »
The closest possible death I saw for Alexander was this one:

ALEXANDER MCPHAIL
age 86
523/ 11
Kilmore and Kilbride

I haven't checked through the 1871/81 census to eliminated this one.

Monica
There is an Alexander McPhail, aged 80, born Kilmore, in the Lorn Combination Poorhouse in Oban in the 1881 census. Oban is in the parish of Kilmore and Kilbride. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be an earlier listing of an Alexander M(a)cPhail in Kilmore and Kilbride. So I took a look at the death certificate. He was unmarried.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 09 November 20 18:09 GMT (UK) »
www.findagrave.com/memorial/206174604/jean-mcphail
Some errors here. Jean died as showing in 1864 at Millknow. From her death reg that a family researcher has included online, her parents were actually Donald McLean, farmer, and Jean Stewart.
Indeed. At least we now know that Alexander did indeed emigrate.

But can we trust the FindAGrave submitter, who got Jean McLean's parents' names wrong, to have got the right parents for Alexander?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 09 November 20 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Thanks for that - I had come across several of these graves, but hadn't been able to piece them together. I had dismissed the McPhails in Illinois, as I had assumed a farmer in his sixties wouldn't have made the long trip from Scotland to Illinois, but it seems as though Uncle Alexander did! That'll teach me for making assumptions.

I'm wary of just using book sources, but it seems to fit. Winnebago County does have its microfilm records of death certificates from the era online to view, but is only in "rough" alphabetical order. I may take a while and see if I can't find Alexander's certificate hiding somewhere in these records, which should confirm things.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 09 November 20 18:39 GMT (UK) »
In the 1880 census of Guilford, Winnebago County, Illinois, are Alexander McPhail, 80; daughter Elizabeth, 53; and son David, 45; and son Alexander, 34;  all born in Scotland.

Not seeing them in 1870.

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 09 November 20 19:35 GMT (UK) »
In the 1880 census of Guilford, Winnebago County, Illinois, are Alexander McPhail, 80; daughter Elizabeth, 53; and son David, 45; and son Alexander, 34;  all born in Scotland.

Not seeing them in 1870.
Believe I have them in 1870 under 'McPhiel'!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 09 November 20 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Alexander McPhail and some of the children left Glasgow for the US, arriving at New York on 9 June 1866 on the 'Hibernia'.

Alexander 64 (indexed on A+/try as Aleac)
David 29
Elizabeth 35
Margaret 22
Ellen 20

At a guess, maybe some of his sons had already headed off before them to settle there.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 09 November 20 19:58 GMT (UK) »
From here www.findagrave.com/memorial/206174486/archibald-mcphail

Alexander was the son of Robert McPhail and Margaret Milloy. He died at Milknow. He was buried in Kilchenzie Church yard as certified by his son Alexander McPhail.

You might consider viewing Archibald's death ref to confirm details on informant as above. For Jean McLean McPhail's death reg, the informant was a MacDonald newphew.

Monica

Offline Hwby

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 09 November 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »
Alexander McPhail and some of the children left Glasgow for the US, arriving at New York on 9 June 1866 on the 'Hibernia'.

Alexander 64 (indexed on A+/try as Aleac)
David 29
Elizabeth 35
Margaret 22
Ellen 20

At a guess, maybe some of his sons had already headed off before them to settle there.

Monica
I was looking for the ship but coming up dry (ba dum tsh), thank you!