Author Topic: Boredom in Lockdown. Am I alone?  (Read 4108 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom in Lockdown. Am I alone?
« Reply #9 on: Friday 06 November 20 17:36 GMT (UK) »

Excitement today, the postman brought letters, one from TV licensing, and one from the NHS.

I can now go online and manage my TV license, I am a licensed tv license manager.

The nhs turned out to be from imperial college london, I have been chosen at random to (win a million), no actually to take part in their random testing program.

Alas I started to fill in the online questionnaire and became ineligible on about page five.

Did you go through a proper tendering application to become a tv licence manager or were you automatically awarded the position (unpaid) by the government?  ;D
There's usually a question I want to ignore or answer "not relevant" or "don't know", or leave and go back to later in an online questionnaire  but it won't let me.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 06 November 20 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Back in the 50s/60s if we complained of being bored Mum either told us to go and stand on one leg in a corner or said "that's all right, it's allowed"

I watched a repeat of "Our Yorkshire Farm" from summer 2019 last week. Mother, Amanda Owens, said it was good for her kids to be bored sometimes. The littlest one became excited when she found a "ginormous" snail in a field. Somewhere in a field in Yorkshire is a ginormous snail named Michelle.  ;D Good choice of name for a snail as some are hermaphrodite.
The programme left a warm glow in my heart.  :)
Cowban

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 06 November 20 18:02 GMT (UK) »

Excitement today, the postman brought letters, one from TV licensing, and one from the NHS.

I can now go online and manage my TV license, I am a licensed tv license manager.

The nhs turned out to be from imperial college london, I have been chosen at random to (win a million), no actually to take part in their random testing program.

Alas I started to fill in the online questionnaire and became ineligible on about page five.

Did you go through a proper tendering application to become a tv licence manager or were you automatically awarded the position (unpaid) by the government?  ;D
There's usually a question I want to ignore or answer "not relevant" or "don't know", or leave and go back to later in an online questionnaire  but it won't let me.

It’s easy, just send off a cheque for £157-50 and your degree comes back by post.

When I have saved a few more pennies I will be a scientist and blind you all with last years statistics  ;D ;D

Mike

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 06 November 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
It’s easy, just send off a cheque for £157-50 and your degree comes back by post.

When I have saved a few more pennies I will be a scientist and blind you all with last years statistics  ;D ;D

I've done crash courses in science, medicine and statistics between March and October this year. Do you think I'll be able to obtain 3 degrees if I send off 3 cheques? Although if I had to take an exam I'd fail statistics.
Cowban

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 November 20 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Good evening,

Demolition gang member no 4 (age 6) was both bored and skint. He needed sweets he said. So he got a pile of paper, some plain, some patterned. He folded them all lengthwise zigg zagg style. Wrapped a piece of sellotape around one end and splayed the other end out.

He then took an old storage basket, an empty gravy granule pot which he covered in plain paper. He then took the lot out to the front fence and put them on display. Along with a sign saying "FANS FOR SALE" They were 5p for a plain one, 20p for a patterned one. Daughter went out and bought a patterned one and gave him 25p.

A little later he rushed indoors with a huge smile on his face and said he had sold 2 more plain fans.
Two people had come along and, obviously impressed with his entrepreneurship, gave him a FIVER each. I hate to think what they would have paid for a patterned one.

So with the 50p I gave him for a special edition red one for Grandma he made £10.75.

To top it all, he made it onto "Spotted Crawley", a facebook page for people to post things good, bad or strange on.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 06 November 20 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Someone once told me that 'boredom' was a very high level of being.

That's it.

That's all I've got to give.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 06 November 20 18:46 GMT (UK) »
If not already a member, look up your local U3A, they are running zoom groups. Our local U3A just started an Italian for beginners this week - we had one live session in a local venue on Tuesday (only 6 of us, the leader had split us into 2 separate groups). We all agreed it was lovely to meet each other for real before we go over to zoom next week. My U3A ukulele group meets weekly on Zoom & there are online book groups and all sorts of things.

Pat

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 November 20 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I've only been leaving the house for work, school run and food and been trying to minimise the last one since the beginning.  So many people have disgusted me in the past few months that I struggle to see me going out and about amongst people ever again.  This thought drags me down a bit but I've been trying to unsuccessfully have the house at show home levels so plenty to do
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 November 20 19:08 GMT (UK) »

I've done crash courses in science, medicine and statistics between March and October this year. Do you think I'll be able to obtain 3 degrees if I send off 3 cheques? Although if I had to take an exam I'd fail statistics.

I would do foreign languages as well. Then you can move to Wales.

You cannot fail statistics, just remember you must take a random sample of sufficient size.
If you only test people who have symptoms you will unsurprisingly get above average positive results. ;D >:( ;D

Mike