Author Topic: Boredom in Lockdown. Am I alone?  (Read 4110 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Boredom in Lockdown. Am I alone?
« on: Friday 06 November 20 15:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm so very bored already, this time. Last time I spent most of my time in the garden, which did it a lot of good, and me, too. I managed time out there this morning, but it was too squelchy to do much.
But I'm bored, even with reading, and I'm one of those people who always has a book on the go, in every room in the house.
I seem to be hitting nothing but brick walls in family history research, I've written the letters to the people I usually send letters to with their Christmas cards, doing the letters and sending them on their own, early. I've been doing crosswords like mad. I'm not into jigsaws.
There's nothing much on telly, and I don't like watching it during the daytime, in any case. There's not the lovely obsession of the Rootschat Panto (that seemed to die out last year), I've used up all my stock of sewing fabric, and done all the washing and ironing as a record turnaround. I can't find wallpaper I like, in order to do some home decorating whilst tied to base, although I've been intending to do that for weeks....
The cats think I ought to copy them, and doze in a cosy corner, but that doesn't help. I've even done all the housework I can find to do. And re-organised bookshelves a bit. Oh dear, oh for something to fill my mind with joy.
How are others coping?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom in Lockdown. Am I alone?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 November 20 15:22 GMT (UK) »
In some ways we had a practice run I suppose you could call it lasting 7 months or so, it will be the same for me I think except no gardening as such, it is very cold today and I need to mow my lawn but I guess I have missed it now due to wet grass not drying out quick enough, had a couple of nice cold bright days  but still need the grass to dry out

I must admit I only managed 3 online shops and resorted to going out at 8am on a Friday each week doing all the right things

I didn't get as much done in the first  months or so because my husband was ill, that put paid to a lot of sorting out I needed to do, I did suggest we decorate our bedroom but it fell on deaf ears !!

It is  getting a bit boring I suppose,  it is what I call "same old same old", every day the same but we have to get on with it, chill out and keep ourselves happy and of course those around us as well

We have done 7 months of it and we have just over 3 weeks to go, so I think it should go quickly, I am hoping it does,

The diarists on here keep me smiling from time to time with their humour, some pack so much into a day, puts me to shame sometimes but I am by no means lazy

So, as I said chin up, chill out and get through it

Take care, keep safe and keep warm

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 November 20 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Have you written your own life story? We so often concentrate on our ancestors that we forget about recording our experiences  for the benefit of future generations.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 November 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
You're not alone Threlfall in struggling to keep going, not to mention trying to stay cheerful.  Today I am feeling a bit low and hoping to find something funny to cheer me up.

I like cats so I may have a look on You Tube for some cat videos.  Some of them are quite funny so hopefully they will take some of my gloom away.

I think we all feel that this situation is never ending and try and find something positive to do but it is not always easy is it  :(

We are not a hibernating species so we can't disappear into our burrows over the winter and emerge again in the spring.

I believe there is a saying of what can't be cured must be endured.  So true for us at the moment ::)

So chin up Threlfall, there is light at the end of the tunnel, just a case of waiting for it to appear  :D

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline magnacarta

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Is life not a thousand times too short for us to bore ourselves?

Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:22 GMT (UK) »
I was so bored yesterday that I almost thought of cleaning the cooker ;D ;D ;D,  fortunately it soon passed over.

Excitement today, the postman brought letters, one from TV licensing, and one from the NHS.

I can now go online and manage my TV license, I am a licensed tv license manager.

The nhs turned out to be from imperial college london, I have been chosen at random to (win a million), no actually to take part in their random testing program.

Alas I started to fill in the online questionnaire and became ineligible on about page five.

Well this post has occupied me for a few minutes,

Take care, look after yourself cos no one else will is my old dad used to say,

Mike

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:42 GMT (UK) »
I discovered E books during the last lockdown, and will continue to read them during this one. Just finished an autobiography by Celia Paul, (Artist). Really interesting, although why she chose to have a child with Lucian Freud is beyond me! (I think he had at least 14?). Anyway, I love her paintings, especially her self portrait; which is very reminiscent of Gwen John’s work.

It’s getting too cold to paint in my painting shed in the garden, and so I’m moving lots of things indoors to the spare bedroom...

And of course there’s always family history! I could follow Jebber‘s suggestion and write about my 40 year search for my ever elusive paternal grandfather... ;D ;D

And finally, - I have a stack of seed catalogues, and plan to work out what I want to grow next year, - although I’ve got 2 greenhouses to clear out first!

Romilly  :) ;)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline Marmalady

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 November 20 16:59 GMT (UK) »
Back in the 50s/60s if we complained of being bored Mum either told us to go and stand on one leg in a corner or said "that's all right, it's allowed"

Sorry, not much help!
Wainwright - Yorkshire
Whitney - Herefordshire
Watson -  Northamptonshire
Trant - Yorkshire
Helps - all
Needham - Derbyshire
Waterhouse - Derbyshire
Northing - all

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 06 November 20 17:27 GMT (UK) »
I did gardening last month but weather is either too wet, cold or windy or all 3. I'm not physically capable of all gardening tasks I did a year ago.

These are some things I could do.
There are online courses. I saved a FutureLearn history one. I accidently left a part-completed family history one by clicking on "Leave this course" instead of "Go to course".  :-[ They take 2-4 hours a week for about 6 weeks.
Learn a language, it's supposed to be good for the brain. FutureLearn have several introduction to language courses. I was interested in an Irish language and culture one which would be a refresher course for me.
Keep fit, dancing.
Singing.
Plant bulbs. I found 2 bags of bulb fibre. Place I buy bulbs is a mile walk away. I believe garden centres in England are open.
Go for a walk and look at something with wonder. My favourite tree in March was a willow with catkins.
                                                      - - - - - - -
You could volunteer as a telephone befriender for someone else who's stuck at home.
                - - - - - - - -
My mind was filled with joy for a few moments yesterday when I watched a video of a sleepy baby panda in a zoo.   :) Someone posted it last night as an antidote to politics, "a palate-cleanser".
I get updates from a hedgehog organisation; there are videos on it of hogs in gardens. 
Cowban