Author Topic: John Lee death Rugby  (Read 1037 times)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
John Lee death Rugby
« on: Saturday 07 November 20 12:20 GMT (UK) »
Can any body help with any details of the death of a John Lee Reg. in Rugby Sep Q 1837 or elsewhere, like Independent Chapel in Kilsby?

I can buy death certificate but would like help first.

Some facts of missing John Lee's death c1837/start of 1838

5 Oct 1822 John Lee changes his residence in Kilsby; selling livestock, crops, furniture, music but not lease copyhold/freehold
24 Oct 1829 lease available 32 acres Turnpike Road (Watling Street Road); good family home
16 Jun 1838 at George's Inn Kilsby - estate and residence of Late John Lee Esq in 3 lots (14 rooms and cottage near road to Rugby; 3 closes; 33 acres; another lot adjoining Bridle Road (Kilsby to Crick) and 12 acres; another 2 cottage views of London to Birmingham Railway (therefore near above 33 acres)
8 Nov 1838 for sale neat and modern household furniture suggesting John Lee left his large home in 1822 and moved into a smaller house in the village of Kilsby
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.
Banks: farmer/curriers/shoemakers, East Ham, Bermondsey, East End

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: John Lee death Rugby
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 20 12:57 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking for his cause of death that can only be obtained from his death cert.

He was 59 when he died so 44 when he moved house

24.10.1829 - what info links this to John as it was 7yrs after the 1822 move?

If you are looking for the reason he moved in 1822 - it’s anybody’s guess.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 20 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.
I was hoping that the John Lee who died in Rugby may have been of Kilsby Parish.
The age is good.
The Kilsby John Lee would have been a gent; may not have had surviving family; and could have lived off his farms.
It is possible that his nephew was the Richard Lee who had at the time (1828 or thereabouts) he moved house, had 3/6 of Quarter shares of the Rights of the Manor of Kilsby. Thus, this John Lee most likely had freehold in Kilsby he had inherited as well.
Rees: innkeeper/farmer/solicitor, Haverfordwest, Wales; Menzies: innkeeper, Glen Lyon, Scotland;
Tomkins: merchants, London;  Lee:  farmers, Watford Village, Northamptonshire; Pocock, teachers, Bristol; Grace: doctors, cricketers, Gloucestershire; Day: lithographers, London; Clark:  teachers, Folkstone.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 20 02:44 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with the death (still looking ...) however there is  a long article about a "rail-road riot at Kilsby" in which the house of John LEE was considerably damaged in 1837. Happy to copy for you if you don't have access.
Berrows Worcester Journal, Thursday,  May 4, 1837

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 20 03:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
No, I have not seen that article, although I have been able to access Northampton Mercury via westnorthamptonshire historical society site.
Yes, I would like to see the article.
Basically, my ancestor John Lee had quarter share of Manor of Kilsby Rights in 1661 (Indenture then and 1673 Indenture with son Andrew's prenuptial).

28 Sep 1866 14 acres of copyhold inheritance of the Manor of Kilsby ; remainder freehold of Richard Lee to be auctioned post his death. My guess south of the Bridle Road and north of the Kilsby Watford Road.

This other John Lee (above) also had freehold and leasehold, my guess north of Bridle Road (Kilsby to Crick) but I see him as from the Lee family who were weavers.

My later ancestor David Rees, on behalf of his chn, who inherited Lee land in Watford in 1813, also sold land to London Birmingham Railway like the above two Lee guys about north of where the Welton Station is today. They will be related to above Richard Lee.

I need to research the John Lee of Kilsby, who died c1837.

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 20 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Found the article.

Thank you

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:09 GMT (UK) »
Back to the death of John Lee...

4 May 1837 Rail-road Riot at Kilsby article (than you) ... the mob then proceeded to the front of the house of Mr. John Lee, where the policeman lodged ....

8 Nov 1838 [auction]  Neat and modern house hold furniture of late Mr. John Lee of Kilsby

Therefore, death between this time frame.

I suspect he and his brother Thomas were dissenters as was Richard Lee...niece Sarah Jane Lee (daughter of Thomas Lee), named as a dissenter in a court case; Elizabeth Lee (daughter of Richard Lee) baptised 10 Apr 1822 Independent Chapel Kilsby by Wm Morgan

Offline K Rees

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:10 GMT (UK) »
That now eliminates John Lee who was buried St. Andrews Rugby 29 Mar 1837.