Author Topic: How do I find who lived at a certain Hornchurch address in the 1930s  (Read 613 times)

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
How do I find who lived at a certain Hornchurch address in the 1930s
« on: Saturday 07 November 20 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I don't know how to do this; I've tried on Ancestry and FindMyPast and have zero results but I don't think I am doing the search properly.

I have a birth certificate of my relative, which has his father down as living at 148 Burnway, Hornchurch, Essex in 1936 at the time of the registration of birth. This is a new address to me. It's either the case that this was the address of the father who was still living with his first wife and family at the time of this birth (to another woman). Or that the father had moved out of the marital home and was lodging. (The mother's address on the birth certificate is different).

Is there a way of finding out who was living at this exact address please in 1935-37?

NB: I have worked out how to search the 1939 register successfully and it was a Samuel and Maud Prior. These are not my relatives and have no connection. My relatives had moved by that point and I have their 1939 address.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: How do I find who lived at a certain Hornchurch address in the 1930s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 20 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the Essex Records Office (if it's open)  to check if ER's are available for that period & whether they can do a look up for you?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 20 23:48 GMT (UK) »
There may be a street directory. While I don't think publications like Kelly's lasted into the 1930s, there were local ones into the 1960s - I have donated my copy of a Trowbridge, Wilts, directory to the SoG library. You could look for a directory on the SoG library catalogue, or with Essex archive service, or even Essex libraries. All of these would be paper copies, not online of course.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 20 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried contacting the Essex Records Office (if it's open)  to check if ER's are available for that period & whether they can do a look up for you?

Thank you, I will contact them.

Offline nicdigby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 20 23:50 GMT (UK) »
There may be a street directory. While I don't think publications like Kelly's lasted into the 1930s, there were local ones into the 1960s - I have donated my copy of a Trowbridge, Wilts, directory to the SoG library. You could look for a directory on the SoG library catalogue, or with Essex archive service, or even Essex libraries. All of these would be paper copies, not online of course.

Thanks very much for this suggestion, I will do this.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 20 03:24 GMT (UK) »
https://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/148-burnway/hornchurch/rm11-3sq/19849022

The Road Name changes spelling on the MAP from north of the purple Z to south of the purple Z.

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 20 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Looked at the map carefully with a magnifying glass and now think that Burnway is spelled the same.

Offline keldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 November 20 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried the 1936 telephone directory on Ancestry? Don't bother with the search as it never works that well. Call up the book and leaf through it to the relevant page.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1025/images/BT_900737_BOX96_1936_MAR_001-00001

Not many people had phones but you never know.