Author Topic: Seeking a Cemetery for lost ancestor  (Read 779 times)

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking a Cemetery for lost ancestor
« on: Saturday 07 November 20 18:35 GMT (UK) »
 ??? HI;

I'm back on my research for the elusive ancestors and hope some one can steer me in the direction of the cemetery for one of the brothers.

Name is Robert Headifant,various spelling of surname,Hediphent,Hedifin,Hedifint,etc,etc, I have a
Listing on Griffith's for a John Hediphent at Cluntagh,Annahilt.who I'm sure is a relative. I have just received a message saying  Robert Headifant died at Magheraconluce.Annahilt.Co.Down and possibly buried at a cemetery in the area.I have no date of death but Robert was the Father of a distant cousin  Jane Headifint who married George Halliday and lived in Bangor.I just had help finding her gravesite in Knockbreda Cem Belfast area. ???

I have some other queries regarding my Grt Granfather Samuel Hedifont who died in Glasgow Scot 1902 I will post this one in the  correct forum. I would be very grateful for any help with these distant relatives thanks a bunch.

Cheers & Kind regards from Canada :)

Janey

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking a Cemetery for lost ancestor
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 20 09:28 GMT (UK) »

I have just received a message saying  Robert Headifant died at Magheraconluce.Annahilt.Co.Down and possibly buried at a cemetery in the area.

If Robert died at Magheraconluce townland, and if he was Church of Ireland, then the nearest CoI church is the Church Of The Ascension. It's in the townland of Glebe in Annahilt CP. Google satellite shows that there is a graveyard in its grounds.
https://www.ireland.anglican.org/find-a-church/parish/12320/annahilt-church-of-the-ascension
https://www.townlands.ie/down/annahilt/glebe/
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01q0l/

Magheraconluce townland is about 2 miles from the church.
https://www.townlands.ie/down/annahilt/magheraconluce/
https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4638469#map=14/54.4342/-5.9884

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 20 11:40 GMT (UK) »
I have just received a message saying  Robert Headifant died at Magheraconluce.Annahilt.Co.Down and possibly buried at a cemetery in the area.
A message from who? can you not ask them for the source of this in case they've more information?

I have no date of death but Robert was the Father of a distant cousin  Jane Headifint who married George Halliday and lived in Bangor.
Where have you already searched for date of his death? civil records? newspapers?

Daughter Jane Headifant married 1862 at Bangor COI to George Halliday. Her father Robert listed as shoemaker.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1862/09637/5494946.pdf
When was Jane born? (this should give an indication of when her father might have been born & died)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 20 12:01 GMT (UK) »
There's a death of a Robert HEADAFIN at Magheraconluce in 1879 but he's a bachelor and a labourer (agricultural?).

https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1879/06532/4882431.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 20 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kiltaglassan.Aghadowey :)

Thank you both for your reply with info on my ancestor Robert Headafin death at Magheraconluce Annahilt in 1879.family history is daughter Jane born Nov.1843 and she wed George Halliday 1862
they only had one daughter Alice Jane Halliday  born 23Aor 1872 which make it possible that jane's mother was named Alice. ???My late mother was a Headafin but family history was not known
until after mid 1900 's when she was born.

The lady who sent me the info on Robert's death was answering a query from my Find a Grave profile page.She wrote she lives in East Belfast and did not know Magheraconluce Annahilt as it was about 150miles away.I will now try to find the graveyard from the info you have sent me.

Another question is it possible Robert was an agricultural labourer meaning Farmer. ???  The older generation  appear to be so with John Hediphent in Cluntagh,Annahilt and my Grt.Grt. Granfather James in Ballymena. to name a few. Also I looked up the site you gave me and printed off Robert's death cert says he is a bachelor could that just mean a Widower ???  i'm also wondering who is Hester Irvine who witnessed his death ???   Robert aged 68yrs makes him born abt.1811 this ties
in with  James born 1810 who joined the First Reg of Foot Soldiers and went all over the world to end in South Sheilds Lancs Eng married with abt 14 kids.

I will try to find other family members now on this website of civil and church records and keep you all posted as to results.thanks a bunch once again very much appreciated. :)

Cheeres and Kind regards from Canada

Janey :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 20 16:25 GMT (UK) »

She wrote she lives in East Belfast and did not know Magheraconluce Annahilt as it was about 150miles away.

From this map https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4638469#map=11/54.5057/-5.7929 Magheraconluce is about 14 miles from east Belfast.

Another question is it possible Robert was an agricultural labourer meaning Farmer. ???

No, unlikely because the informant Hester lived also in Magheraconluce and was likely to know his occupation.

........says he is a bachelor could that just mean a Widower ???  i'm also wondering who is Hester Irvine who witnessed his death ???

No- a bachelor is an unmarried male....a widower has been married. Hester Irvine as the informant was also a resident of Magheraconluce and would know Robert's marital status.

KG

Offline janeygee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 20 17:36 GMT (UK) »
 Hi KG.

Thank you for the new info on my ancestor. So it looks like this Robert is not the father of Jane who married George Halliday  ??? ::)  The big problem finding members of this family is that every branch has kids with the same names

I will dig out all my files and write up a new topic with the info I have on the family. My Grt Granfather was named Samuel I haven't found too many of that name however he may have had a sister named Martha who married a John Mitchell 30 Dec 1857 Lisburn and they named one son Samuel  ???

Thank you again for all your help and travel distance from East Belfast is only a few miles ::) :-[

Kind regards
Janey