Author Topic: Samuel Luscombe 1851/52 - stoke gabriel  (Read 1517 times)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Luscombe 1851/52 - stoke gabriel
« on: Saturday 07 November 20 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Wondered if someone could re look at Samuel Luscombe for me just so I can get some clarity that I have the correct person to build my family tree.

The Samuel Luscombe Im interested in had the following children:  Beatrice Jane Luscombe 1885, Sydney Walter Luscombe 1883, Samuel Henry Luscombe 1888 and Sarah Ann Luscombe 1880.  This much I know to be true.  The children were born Stoke Gabriel and registered under Totnes.  Samuel was also born the same area.  On the 1891 census, his age is listed as 39 so is estimated to have been born 1852/1.  Samuel was either a farmer or agricultural labourer.  Subsequent relatives were also in the same field of work.

This is where it gets tricky.  I looked on the GRO and there are two Samuel Luscombe's.  One was born 26th September 1851 • union workhouse, Totnes, Devon, England mmn not written on record.
The other has a mother called Susan Perkins who married Richard Luscombe.  Susan was born around 1828 but dates change for Richard and there are a number of Richard Luscombe's so this is proving hard to work out.  However, a Richard Luscombe believed to have been born around 1821/22 married a Susan Perkins though his age changes over a number of census's from 1821/22-1828

I would like to know if Richard and Susan are Samuel's parents, or whether he's more likely to be the birth registration whose mmn is not listed if at all possible and clarification of the year in which Richard was born.  I use one ancestry site but was wondering if more information about his family may be available on other sites people use etc

Samuel married an Emma Seally/Silley/silly = Again its difficult to track Emma's ancestral line as the spelling of her surname changes repeatedly eg Her father is believed to be Robert Seeleye/Seally/Silly/silley 1829 etc who married Ann Ellis, 1831.  Robert's father William is down as Silly.  I found all birth registrations for Emma's siblings {eliza ann seally, mary jane ellis seally, Ann Elizabeth Seally, Robert Henry Seally, William Robert Ellis Seally, John Henry Seally, Hannah Elizabeth Seally} but cannot find one for Emma - this could be due to the spelling issue.  Robert Seally, Emma and family came from Dittisham, Devon.

Any help around Samuel would be so appreciated as Im trying to do a family chart for someone related to me as a present.  Also any additional help with Emma's birth registration and her family particularly with regards what the surname spelling actually is would be also gratefully received. 

Thanks All

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Luscombe 1851/52 - stoke gabriel
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:14 GMT (UK) »
Firstly have you got the marriage for Samuel to Emma as that would usually name his father and his fathers occupation.  Witness names can also be helpful if relations.
And of course it should have the brides father and his occupation as well.

What year did he marry please? 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Marriage 6th June 1878 Samuel full age , Samuel's father Samuel COLLYS occ lab, Emma Seally aged 20 father Robert Seally occ (I think) Mariner

John

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:28 GMT (UK) »
As below he married 1878.  I didnt have any further information regarding this father, but will respond below thank you x

Firstly have you got the marriage for Samuel to Emma as that would usually name his father and his fathers occupation.  Witness names can also be helpful if relations.
And of course it should have the brides father and his occupation as well.

What year did he marry please?

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Where did you find the information that his dad was Samuel Collys?  Robert did die at Sea so that would fit with him being a mariner.  Any info on Samuel collys and his wife?  Thanks for this

Marriage 6th June 1878 Samuel full age , Samuel's father Samuel COLLYS occ lab, Emma Seally aged 20 father Robert Seally occ (I think) Mariner

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:31 GMT (UK) »
Should have added witnesses , Sarah Jane Foxbridge & John W Collings. Wonder if Colly and Collings are connected in sum way.

John

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Think its collings as a Sarah Luscombe married a samuel collings.  Where did you find the info that Samuel Collings was Samuel Luscombes dad?

Should have added witnesses , Sarah Jane Foxbridge & John W Collings. Wonder if Colly and Collings are connected in sum way.

John

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Samuel Collings
Registration Year:   1853
Registration Quarter:   Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration District:   Totnes
Parishes for this Registration District:   View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County:   Devon
Volume:   5b
Page:   357  Marriage to Sarah Luscombe

Think its collings as a Sarah Luscombe married a samuel collings.  Where did you find the info that Samuel Collings was Samuel Luscombes dad?

John

Offline softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 07 November 20 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Have sent op a pm.

John