Author Topic: Margaret Skinner of Kinnellar 1832  (Read 1004 times)

Offline Alison Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Margaret Skinner of Kinnellar 1832
« on: Sunday 08 November 20 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I hope you can help.
I have discovered that Margaret Skinner (my 2x great Grand mother) was born in Kinnellar in 1832 (1841 and 1871 census) . I think Margaret's parents were Robert Skinner born1796(possibly born in Huntly) and Ann Taylor born 1796  (1841 census and mentioned in Chritening record of Mary Skinner) ) I think Margaret had a sister, Mary, and several brothers, George, William, James and Alexander . But I am not sure about the brothers.
I would like to know more about Margaret's siblings and parents and grandparents and where they were from
Many thanks for any help
Alison

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Skinner of Kinnellar 1832
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:07 GMT (UK) »
The first thing to do, assuming that she died in Scotland, is find Margaret's death certificate to make sure that you have the right parents. Did she marry? Because you can search the Scotland's People index for deaths of married women using both their maiden and their married surnames.

And if she married in Scotland after 1855, her marriage certificate will tell you the names of her parents and her husband's parents, including both mothers' maiden surnames.

Certificates are online at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk at modest cost.

I see that there is a family in Kennethmont in 1841 consisting of Robert Skinner, 45; Ann Skinner, 45; Mary Skinner, 15; Margaret Skinner, 8; Mary Taylor, 55; and William McLean, 20. Is this the 1841 census you are looking at? Robert Skinner and Ann Taylor had sons George, baptised 23 September 1819, and William, baptised 17 February 1821, both in Kinellar.

In 1851 James Skinner, 25, born Kinellar, is in Aberdeen with wife Jane/Jean Anderson, son James and George Skinner, servant, 31, born Kinellar. I have not found George in 1861 or later. James and family are still in Aberdeen in 1861 and 1871 but I have not found them after that.

I have not found William in 1851.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Alison Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that information. Yes it was that family, in the 1841 census that I was looking at .
The marriage certificate would be the most usuful, thank you for that idea.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:25 GMT (UK) »
I see that Margaret Skinner, 18, born Kinellar, was a servant in Bieldside in 1851.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:35 GMT (UK) »
Mary Skinner, MMN Taylor, died 1869, age 43, St Nicholas, Married name, Wilson

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Did Margaret marry a John Watt in 1858 & pass in 1909?

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a Robert Skinner, born 30 Mar 1796, Huntly to John Skinner & Jane Maitland

Added

a John Skinner married Jean Maitland, 16 Sept 1784, Drumblade

And an Ann Taylor, born Forgue, 29 Mar 1795, father, George Taylor

Added

George Taylor married a Christian Gray, 29 June 1788, Huntly

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:57 GMT (UK) »
Mary Skinner, MMN Taylor, died 1869, age 43, St Nicholas, Married name, Wilson

In 1861 census in Aberdeen: John Wilson, 36; wife Mary, 34, born St Nicholas; children Mary, Jane, Rachel, James. Her birthplace could of course be wrong. The death certificate will sort that out.

Offline Alison Smith

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 November 20 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Skinner born in Kinnellar 1832 married Ronald Davidson 1 Jan 1852 (my gt Grandfather )
I would like to know who her parents were.
" There is a Robert Skinner, born 30 Mar 1796, Huntly to John Skinner & Jane Maitland I think this is Margaret's father

And an Ann Taylor, born Forgue, 29 Mar 1795, father, George Taylor" She became Robert Skinner's wife , Margaret's mother
I think this is the family, but not sure