Author Topic: WW2 Service records  (Read 2015 times)

Offline verrieres

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service records
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 May 21 18:20 BST (UK) »
I am aware of numerous service records ordered between July 2019-March 2021 arriving within the last two weeks . Also a colleague reports he is aware of 17 deliveries for the same period in the last fortnight so some are getting through?

Jim

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 26 May 21 19:25 BST (UK) »
I am aware of numerous service records ordered between July 2019-March 2021 arriving within the last two weeks . Also a colleague reports he is aware of 17 deliveries for the same period in the last fortnight so some are getting through?

Jim

Thanks verrieres for the information   :)

Just to give an update. I sent off the application form for the WW2 army record for my first cousin, once removed on 28th November 2019 and finally received the records today (very detailed…..brilliant  ;D) so just 17 months later. There is a standard pro-forma letter accompanying the photocopy records.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline allotment

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 October 21 19:24 BST (UK) »
Just an update as the original poster to give other folk a guide on delivery times. I have today received the 7 years Royal Artillery records for my wife's father having sent for them mid-June 2020. They returned the cheque as they called it 'out of date' and an envelope to send off a new one. So pleased to have received them even though he seems to have spent most of his service life in trouble for absenteeism from sentry duty or AWOL in general although interestingly one of which was around the time of my wife's birth. Also seems to have had quite a few hospital visits.

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 October 21 22:43 BST (UK) »
They returned the cheque as they called it 'out of date' and an envelope to send off a new one.

I've also just received my uncles army records, which I sent for in July 2020, with a request for a new cheque as the one that I sent was "out of date"

Now I'm patiently waiting for my father's records to arrive, which I sent for at the same time.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 October 21 22:55 BST (UK) »
I think it is quite trusting of the MOD to send the records and request a new cheque. There are bound to be some people who “forget” to do that once they have the service records, especially anyone whose records are a bit sparse, or which don’t contain the information they hoped for.  :-\

Online Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 October 21 23:32 BST (UK) »
I think it is quite trusting of the MOD to send the records and request a new cheque. There are bound to be some people who “forget” to do that once they have the service records, especially anyone whose records are a bit sparse, or which don’t contain the information they hoped for.  :-\

That's what I thought, but put a new cheque in the post the next day.

I do wonder what happens if the recipient  has moved or passed on.
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 October 21 05:33 BST (UK) »
Like you Bee, I think that many (most) people will do the right thing, and as you point out there may be genuine reasons for people not re-sending a cheque.

It would be easier all round if they accepted payment via card then people from other countries could also apply for service records. I’m sure it will happen eventually.  :)