Author Topic: WW2 Service records  (Read 2003 times)

Offline allotment

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW2 Service records
« on: Sunday 08 November 20 10:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my wife applied to Glasgow for her deceased father's WW2 army service records mid-June 2020 and has not had any reply. The cheque has not been cashed so we sent a follow up chaser but again nothing. Does anyone please have any suggestions on how we should proceed and if we are likely to get a response before the cheque becomes invalid? Many thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW2 Service records
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 20 11:04 GMT (UK) »
A recent posting here reported the receipt of records after a year.  The process always gives priority to people applying for their own records and the system has, like everywhere else, been badly affected by Covid  There is a telephone number somewhere on the website which you could try to get confirmation that the application is in the system.

Cheques do not become invalid after 6 months as is commonly thought.  See:

https://www.chequeandcredit.co.uk/information-hub/faqs/cheques-and-cheque-clearing

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline allotment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 20 11:06 GMT (UK) »
Thank you MaxD. We will have to wait.

Offline luciacw

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 November 20 13:08 GMT (UK) »
They have a large backlog they are working through unfortunately.
Most of my family tree covers the Highlands of Scotland, London, Hertfordshire and the Midlands of England. I work as a researcher in a military archive.

Offline allotment

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 November 20 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you luciacw.

Offline lynnebro

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 January 21 19:47 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather’s records took over a year. I did get an email to explain the delay - down to various lockdowns. Well worth the wait

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 10 May 21 17:41 BST (UK) »
I know this has come up before but I have been waiting a full year for my father’s ww2 records and not a peep. Cheque not cashed . Does anyone have an email address or should I write to the records address again? The government website only has an email for complaints.

Regards,
Jo

Offline Scotaus

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 May 21 01:53 BST (UK) »
I am trying to locate details of my husband's post war service in the National Service, on heavy guns at Folkestone, Dover and also fighting Communists insurgents in Malaya from about 1947.
He was John Murdo MacLEOD of Inverness, Scotland (born 1926), and was in 26th Field Artillery.
I intend to send away for his official records, but would like to know more details about the actual campaign in Malaya.
I have down-loaded screeds of pages from 'British Army Review' and have read first section which doesn't actually refer to the National Service recruits - and am about to read the second lot of pages. Ruth MacLEOD

Offline Jo6100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 May 21 16:12 BST (UK) »
 As a reply to my own post, I got this reply back to my query about my father’s records.

It’s going to be a long wait it seems:

“I am sorry to inform you that as a consequence of the ongoing COVID-19 global pandemic and direction from the Scottish Government, the department has only just returned to the office.  The files necessary to process genealogical requests are only held in paper format and have not been accessible during lockdown.

A significant backlog of work has built up during the lockdown period as postal applications continued to be sent to the office.  Regrettably these unprecedented circumstances mean that applications sent in the last year may not yet have been dealt with.  Additional staffing resources have been identified and are being utilised.

At the moment, I am afraid that no further action can be taken on your application, furthermore we are unable to provide a definitive date when a response will be issued to you. I sincerely regret to have to send you a disappointing response and ask for your patience and understanding in this matter”