Author Topic: Door Step Remembrance  (Read 1979 times)

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Door Step Remembrance
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 November 20 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I did what I've done for several decades, and that was to watch the Cenataph Ceremony on TV and stand up when Last Post and Reveille is played for the two minutes of silence.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 November 20 18:07 GMT (UK) »
We watched the  Festival of Remembrance on BBC last evening as usual. It was very poignant.
Our town had a live online service from the church and memorial now on Youtube, showing the laying of wreaths at the various memorials in the districts.
The playing of the Last Post is very moving. I have, hopefully, copied the link here at the right place
https://youtu.be/yv4X8MdTUdQ
The memorial on the hill behind the young man is Pots and Pans where usually crowds of people walk up to remember their loved ones.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 November 20 19:39 GMT (UK) »
On youtube enter "Frankie the Painter!"

Skoosh.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 November 20 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Carol, what a beautiful poppy display at your Heritage Centre!

Yes, I agree that we should remember the civilians who died as a result of war too too.  In fact all our ancestors who had to live through and try to survive such times.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 November 20 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I didn't realise I was supposed to be on the doorstep.

Surely it was only a suggestion as to how we might like to mark the 2 minute silence?

I took part in an online service from my church, and participated in the 2 minutes silence in that way.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 November 20 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh yes, this was just a suggestion I heard about.

My own Church is closed and the local ceremony/service at our Cenotaph was cancelled so I chose to stand on my door step as suggested in news.  I am sure people will have chosen to remember in their own way as best suits them.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 14:45 GMT (UK) »
I stood on the door step this morning, nobody else did. The traffic was as busy as normal and the people who passed by, briefly looked up from their mobile phones and carried on regardless. Next year I shall remember privately as usual.
rayard.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 15:56 GMT (UK) »
I did go out but would you believe it,the dustbin men were collecting and assembling bins on the corner for the actual container vehicle to come .
Not far from me.I was getting very angry.!
So I went in and stood for the two minutes ,I was watching the service onTV anyway.The 100 th anniversary of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
Lovely poem ,words and tributes from all parts of society.
There was no one else on their steps.
I had a small posy if the big silky  poppies.
I wore one droppped on Tyne Cot Cemetery by a plane  of the  Canadian Airforce ,in October 1967,to Mark  the end of the bitter struggle that was
Passchaendaele ,where amongst other places their bravery shone out.
Thousands of poppies fluttering down, and drifting like red snow and banking up against the white headstones
Memorable and  horrific at the same time .
The Canadians were gassed at St.JulianPotisje , a short distance along the road.
Then on to the Church in Ypres where the poem written by McCrae ,a Canadian,
Was read from his own handwritten copy ,which was in a frame
and hung in the Memorial Church ,in.a  Photograph frame!
What a lovely idea was The Tomb of The Unknown Soldier.
A day full of history.
Viktoria.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 17:30 GMT (UK) »
  There was a very moving piece on Radio4 this morning at 9.45. It was mainly the report from the Times, of the journey of the Unknown Warrior on the morning of 11th from Victoria Station to the Cenotaph and the Abbey. A beautiful piece which had me in tears.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire