Author Topic: Remembrance Sunday  (Read 2347 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Remembrance Sunday
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 November 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Skoosh!

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 08 November 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for posting this beautiful poem Viktoria - so very apt.

Thankyou Josey for telling us about who this is in your avatar.  Tragic that like countless other 'doomed youth'  he died so young.  I think this is really good that you are seeing to it that he is not being forgotten by putting his picture and a poppy up on a tree.

I think so many of us have someone specific to remember, but some might just not be aware of this if they are not into family history.  People do unfortunately get forgotten over time if an effort is not made to 'remember'.

I have known about my Great Uncle John Conroy who died 5th February 1918 since childhood.  Only because we had a plaque for him which had been handed down.  I did not get to find out about others in my family tree, such as my Grandfather's cousins until I started doing family history.  I only found out about others in my family tree, such as my Grandfather's cousins once I got into family history.

I remember how interested a man who runs our local paper shop was once, when I told him that his Great Uncle is named on our local Cenotaph.  Following on from family history I have got into local war history research).  This Cenotaph is so very near to us and this man's Great Uncle was killed in WW2.  Not that long ago really.  And yet this man in the newsagents knew nothing about it.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 08 November 20 14:16 GMT (UK) »
We will remember them.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 08 November 20 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Beautiful poem Victoria...very touching, thanks for sharing.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 08 November 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
Taken at Essex Farm Cemetery in Ypres in 2015. Notice the difference of the Canadian Poppy.

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 08 November 20 15:22 GMT (UK) »
Would the wall be  by any chance at the memorial to The Accrington Pals ,or The Chorley  Pals ,they formed part of a  “Pals” regiment.
The 11 th East  Lancs  ,almost wiped out in the first minutes of the first day of “The Somme.”July  1 st 1916 .
It was said of them :-
“  Two years in the making ,ten minutes in their ending “.
They drilled etc,had service in Mesopotamia and then the Somme .
Railway Hollow Cemetery ,near Serre ,France.
What the streets of Accrington and the small towns around, Accrington, Church , Chorley Rawtenstall  etc ,as the telegrams started to arrive would be like ?
. .

I remembered:
  Robert Cecil Hesketh, 16th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers, who was killed 23rd November 1916 at
  the very end of the Somme campaign. He died in an effort to rescue British soldiers who had
  become trapped behind enemy lines. He was a teacher before the war. He had a baby son.
  Thomas Henry, also 16th Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. He enlisted, aged 18, autumn 1916. Killed
  in action 23rd August 1918, aged 20. Commemorated on Vis-En-Artois memorial.
  John Henry, Royal Horse Artillery and Royal Field Artillery. Killed in action 13th September 1917.
  Elder brother of Thomas. They were the only sons of their parents. John and Thomas and their
  brother-in-law, Edward McIntyre, Irish Guards (wounded, survived) were 3 of many young men of
  Irish  heritage who served in WW1.
  Walter Taylor, Coldstream Guards, killed 10th October 1917. No known grave. Commemorated on
  Tyne Cot memorial, West-Vlaanderen, Belgium.

Cowban

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 08 November 20 18:06 GMT (UK) »
Taken at Essex Farm Cemetery in Ypres in 2015. Notice the difference of the Canadian Poppy.

Carol
I have seen the original of that poem, it was in a frame in St. George’s Memorial Church Ypres.
When the old museum in the Cloth Hall was being re organised into “ In Flanders’Fields” it was wanted ,but the Church Warden took it home and kept it hidden, it had been in the Church for so many years from the end of the war.
The last time were there there was a copy in the museum, looking just the same as the original ,which was in the church.
The Church warden told us himself ,we said he really ought to let someone know where he kept it ,it ought not to be lost .
He beckoned me to him and whispered in my ear, that it was “ in a very safe place!”I thought he was going to tell me.!

Anyway it was in the church when we went in 1918 for the 100 th anniversary
of Armistice day.
Viktoria..

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 08 November 20 18:43 GMT (UK) »
We went to St. George's Church too and saw all the beautifully embroidered kneeling mats, a very tiny place that you could easily miss. We also visited "In Flanders Field Memorial Museum" in Grote Square.
Thanks for the interesting info Victoria.
Carol

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 08 November 20 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I was brought up to remember remembrance Sunday and the 2 minutes silence  till I went to church where is was remembered in church, at home we would hold the 2 mins silence before we had a television listening to the radio, my parents always watched British Legion service  on Saturday night,  when the Chelsea pensioners came in my father always had a few tears, I do wonder if it is generation thing and in not so many years people will not even think about the 2 mins silence, huge shame in my opinion, we should remember them

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London