Author Topic: Anyone discovered illegitimacies after doing Ancestry DNA? How do you figure it  (Read 3762 times)

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi there,
I recently did my DNA through Ancestry. I was able to figure out most of the close matches but one has been puzzling me. We are matched by 40cm and he has a lot of family in Kent. When I searched I discovered I had a lot of other matches that are related to him and have the same surnames in Kent. I only have one branch in Kent and I have not found any matches on that side whereas I have matches on all other sides.
The other day I had a message from someone who according to both our trees we share 6th GG on that branch. She has also done her DNA but Ancestry says we are not a match.
Do you think it's possible that someone along the line was illegitimate?
How would I figure it out?
It's probably quite far back 4th or more GG.
I have double checked my research and I don't think I have it wrong.
Any suggestions/ help would be much appreciated.
Thank you
Vicky

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone discovered illegitimacies after doing Ancestry DNA? How do you figure it
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 20 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Dont assume illailligitimacy
At that level it could just be that you dont have enough.of that ggggparent to match
Also if therevwas a second marriage you could descend from first wife and they from second so your dna would be halved ie instead of being firstcousins 5 x removed you could be half first cousins 5 x removed
That could mean extra marital on the womans behalf which COULD explain why same name matches too distant to show and why another surname.appears prominently

I have been looking at 2c 2r and 3rd cousin matches to help an adoptee

My mother and cousin have tested too so.most  paper work is confirmed bybdna matches to.one of us but not always ALL 3 of us
My male cousins matches are higher than mine to most of our 3C1R. 
But I have one who he doesnt match
And he has a3c2r who doesnt show to me but their mother 3c1r matches both of us

There is also a brother and sister 3c1r I match the sister by 19cm.the brother by 40cm my cousin doesnt match the sister but has 46cm match to the brother !

My mother matches all of the above but not always to double the amount

You have to look at your .mutual shared matches to see who else you match and if you are corresponding with.that match give them a few more names you match to from that branch ..they might match at a lower level

It becomes clearer the more people you connect to and the more details of results that you share you can invite each other to look at each others dna results ..so you can findvpatterns for yourself
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

Re: Anyone discovered illegitimacies after doing Ancestry DNA? How do you figure it
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 20 14:54 GMT (UK) »
I have a 364 cM DNA Match that I have no idea who she is, there are also five other DNA Matches that are Shared Matches with her and I have a Tree that links them all together.

I also have a whole bunch of 40+ cM Matches that are all Italien.

There is no easy solution to your mystery just keep working on your tree and DNA Matches and maybe hints will start to show.

Offline msfarrar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 20 05:48 GMT (UK) »
"I have a 364 cM DNA Match that I have no idea who she is"
Shes very close !!! 
Her age compared to you will determine whether she is likely a 1/2 1C , 1C1R  etc.

If you can find out where she was born and see how that ties in with the movements of your potential male relatives..   Cannot rule out your female relatives also as she could have been secretly adopted. 

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 20 09:04 GMT (UK) »
5 of my 11 closest matches on Ancestry!

339 and 167 cM, uncle and niece who must be a half 1C and half 1C1R

150 and 71 cM, half 2C and half 2C1R (another of this line on myHeritage at 222 cM)

122 cM half 2C1R- adopted and doesn't know father

In contrast my wife has one, apparently a half 2C who has no father named

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Lots of people.  Unfortunately they don’t want to know me.  I knew there was an illegitimacy, they didn’t.  The closest shares 306 cM with me.  I would love to know which of the twelve children she is descended from.

As for 40 cM I have a match with someone who I know shares 2 X great grandparents with me.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline Heb66

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 20 22:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
I have a 150 cm match, with no other shared matches at all. I have researched her tree back to all sets of great-grandparents, with still no clue at all.
Any ideas what I should do next ?
Maybe I'm being a bit dense but cannot understand why it's only the two of us match.
Any plan of action greatfully received
Payne, Woodchester Glos / Kings Norton Worcs.
Luker, Glos.
Davis, Smith, Evans, Lockstone,Latham, Kings Stanley.
Bingham; Stroud, Glos.
Gore: Glos/ Plymouth.
Rodway: Woodchester, Glos. Wanted Henry Rodway born 1849. Missing since 1881.
Morgan: Nettleton Wilts / Stroud Glos.

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 20 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Heb the logical answer is that somewhere along the line parents or a parent isnt who paper work says they are you have to look at who else shares with her

If you are on ancestry look at shared matches colour code your matches with each great grandparents surname and a few locations

Look at all your shared matches with this person ..do any of them connect to any of your great grandparents or their locations
Also take a look at the shared matches of the shared matches

If you correspond with this person you can ask how high their cm matches are to shared matches and if they know any of the families concerned .

Or you can try contacting one of the more distant matches and ask if they know how the others connect

If for example it is your great grandfather who had child with their greatgrandmother there will be no surnames in common but your siblings cousins uncles second cousins from same  would also match with this person and their relatives on one branch  too

Good luck ..it takes a lot of calculation and collaberation help

Sometimes birth mothers do leave clues in middle names or actually take birth father to court and get parernity award so dont forget paper trail

I always say its worth llooking at ethnicity of matches too
If all their shared matches have strong ethnicity like welsh and yours dont you can assume the match comes from the non welsh side of their tree
& if half their family have lived abroad for generations and yours have lived locally you can suppose but not be sure that that is the wrong branch
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 01:45 GMT (UK) »

I have a 150 cm match, with no other shared matches at all. I have researched her tree back to all sets of great-grandparents, with still no clue at all.

Look at all your shared matches with this person ..do any of them connect to any of your great grandparents or their locations
Also take a look at the shared matches of the shared matches

;D

Heb, presumably you and this person are the only ones in that branch of the family who have taken a DNA test. You might eventually need to look sideways for matches, eg sisters of grandparents, great grandparents etc ...