Author Topic: Anyone discovered illegitimacies after doing Ancestry DNA? How do you figure it  (Read 3778 times)

Online frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone discovered illegitimacies after doing Ancestry DNA? How do you figure it
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Re the 9cM match, DNA painter gives a 7% chance of it being a 3rd cousin, so quite possible.

Offline Petros

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone discovered illegitimacies after doing Ancestry DNA? How do you figure it
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:23 GMT (UK) »
It does seem that you can get quite a range from the same heritage.

One set of great grandparents has yielded a lot of connections but, as yet, no confirmed ones from the only son of my GGM's second marriage.
3C  26.8 cM
3C1R 14 to 95 cM (8 confirmed)
3C2R 13 to 35 cM (4 confirmed)

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:29 GMT (UK) »
I've found matches on my both my maternal grandparents side and on my paternal grandmothers and on my paternal  grandfather's mothers side but found none on my paternal grandfathers fathers side. Is very mysterious or may be there's not very many people researching that branch.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »

It’s just down to who’s tested really.

DNA testing seems to be far more popular in Australia and the USA, and most of those matches are on my maternal side. Unfortunately, not many people seem to have tested on my paternal side, - where I’m stuck...

Romilly  ::)
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
It's annoying isn't it. I feel like doing my DNA has brought up more questions than answers. I have a lot of American matches, a lot of whom I can't figure out how we're related. I wonder how far I have to go back with some of them to find the link.
Found royalty on my Mum's side which has made it a lot easier.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I have a group of 300+ matches, all in Tennessee, North Carolina and Alabama, who I know are on my mother’s side, but I have no idea how we match...

I’ve messaged a few of them, and most of them have Trees going back to the very earliest settlers, and so it’s very perplexing how they match to me.

Romilly  ???
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 20:02 GMT (UK) »
How do you know they are on your mother's side?
I found a cluster with the same surname in the same parts of America. I also have that surname in my tree but I haven't been able to get mine as far back as when their settlers went to America.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 20:32 GMT (UK) »

I know that they’re on my Mother’s side because she took a test before she died last year, and most of them also match to her.

Romilly.
Researching:

Offline GingerVicky

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Ah that makes sense.  Sorry that she died.