Author Topic: Looking for the house where Maj. Gen. James Bramham died in Greenwich in 1786  (Read 394 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi Folks

My 5th great grand father Maj. Gen. James Bramham was the Chief Engineer of the Royal Engineers in the Army when he died at his home in Greenwich on 11 Nov 1786. I don't know how old he was but I believe he was born in Yorkshire about 1720. He was buried on 20 Nov 1786 at St. Alfege's church in Greenwich. He was survived by his daughter Jane, and his brother Cuthbert (of Pontefract) and his nephew also James Bramham (son of his brother William Bramham deceased) who are all mentioned in his will.

Any help to identify where James Bramham lived in Greenwich would be very much appreicated.

Thanks

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the house where Maj. Gen. James Bramham died in Greenwich in 1786
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 November 20 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Sadly, his two letters to Colonel Debbieg at Chatham, dated 19 Aug and 30 Aug 1784, simply give his address as "Greenwich".

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the house where Maj. Gen. James Bramham died in Greenwich in 1786
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 November 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
You've nothing to add from the 2013 nor 2016 requests.
No address on the will , not mentioned in newspapers etc.

Are there any rate books for the era and area?
Addresses at the time were more descriptive than definitive, eg 3 doors away from the "Dog & Duck" @ Town rather than a street and house number which only standardised mid 1800's

Pauline
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 20 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pauline and hanes teulu

Thanks for your replies. There is no address on the will of James Bramham or in newspaper records of his death that I have found. I do not know how to locate rate books for Greenwich or poll books as he may have been eligible to vote.

Regards
Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts