Author Topic: Looking for clues after receiving death cert  (Read 1067 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for clues after receiving death cert
« on: Monday 09 November 20 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I have received the death cert for my paternal Great Grandmother who died as Eliza Ann Mackittrick.  (various spellings of surname).
Maiden name was Simpson.  Married my Great Grandfather George Davies/Davis then James McKittrick.  She was widowed twice.

On the death cert is recorded that she died at
66 Northgate, Guisborough on 26 June 1946.
Home address 10 Dixon Street, Lingdale, Skelton & Brotton. (This must have been a long term address as she was here 1939)
Informant: R. Johnstone - Occupier.  66 Northgate, Guisborough.
Death was certified by Thos. R. Pratt  M.D.

What I would like to know is if anyone might know who this informant may have been?  Any clues about them would be appreciated.  I know this is a long shot but I think it is worth a try to ask.

I have posted before about Eliza about burial info so do not need this, thank you.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for clues after receiving death cert
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 20 11:42 GMT (UK) »
It would appear that 66 Northgate, Guisborough was the Workhouse, which late became an Infirmary. It looks like your relative died in hospital.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 November 20 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Oh my!  Do you happen know when it changed from a workhouse to a hospital?  She died from bowel cancer so I am not surprised to hear she did not die at home.

Thank you for your help, emeltom.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 November 20 11:55 GMT (UK) »
This building was originally part of Guisborough Union workhouse. It was built in 1838-9. It cost about £2,629 and could house about 130 inmates. It was designed by John and William Atkinson of York who also built several other Yorkshire workhouses. During World War Two it housed military patients from Catterick and Whitby. After the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948 the site became Guisborough General and Maternity Hospital and then Guisborough General Hospital.
Kirkham, Garlick, Worthington, Shaw, Bamber. Fylde Coast
Naylor/Nailor, Lyons, Wilkinson. Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire
Redfern. Cheshire/Derbyshire
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 November 20 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Peter Higginbotham's Workhouse site is the one to go to on this topic :)

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Guisborough/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 November 20 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Oh my!  Thank you Sandblown and Jen.  So from info from Sandblown and website it only became a hospital in 1948 so poor Eliza must have died in the workhouse in 1946!  :o. Probably better than home though, hopefully she would have received some medical assistance which would not have been available at home.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 November 20 12:11 GMT (UK) »
River Tyne Lass. My guess is that by 1946, the building would have been less of a Work House, and more along the lines of a Cottage Hospital. I'm sure Your relative received the best of care.
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 09 November 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for this Sandblown.  I do hope she did receive the very best of care.  Family story is that my Mother and much older sister (both now deceased) had lived with her 'in Yorkshire' whilst my Dad was serving in WW2.  I have also heard her referred to as having been my Dad's 'blind grandmother'.  But don't know if it might have just been some degree of impairment.  Eliza's only child, my Grandmother lived on Tyneside, widowed with her children. I have wondered why Eliza moved away from her only daughter and Grandchildren.  I am hoping there might be a clue from this informant. 

No, I have just remembered that R. Johnstone was recorded as the - Occupier of 66, Northgate so they must have been someone at the hospital rather than a relative or friend.

Offline Sandblown

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 09 November 20 12:34 GMT (UK) »
I'd take a look on the National Archives Site, the Work House Records might be held there. The only problem being, is that there could be a hundred year closure on them.
LeFebvere, Lincolnshire