Author Topic: Any ideas which school late sister may have attended?  (Read 1288 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Any ideas which school late sister may have attended?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 November 20 19:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jen and Jool.  :)

Yes, I can see the school on the map!  I think if there was not a specific RC school nearby this is likely where she would have attended.  I think they went to this area  to get away from the bombing in Tyneside.  I know my Mother had a bad experience, a very close call and I can imagine how nervous this would have made her.

I know my sister went to school in Great Grandmother's area because she once told me  that one of her little school friends there asked her if she would like to go home with her to 'see' her 'Granny'.  My sister said yes.  However, when she went home with the other little girl she was taken in to a room to see a woman lying in her coffin!  My sister said she was horrified!

Now I just need to try to find out which school was between Dixon Street and Cockburn Street in Lingdale.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 07:08 GMT (UK) »
http://www.image-archive.org.uk/?p=55620

I think the school might be this one! This is the one situated between Davison Street and Cockburn Street .. Aand very close to Dixon Street on the map.  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 08:53 GMT (UK) »
http://www.image-archive.org.uk/?p=55620

I think the school might be this one! This is the one situated between Davison Street and Cockburn Street .. Aand very close to Dixon Street on the map.  :)

I think that's the larger school over the road road from the Infants school I marked on the map on the link in reply #7

As you say, being a Roman Catholic she might have gone to an RC school if there were any in the area at the time. There is a Roman Catholic school in Guisborough, but I think it's a relatively modern one - I can't see any sign anywhere of there having been on back in the 1940's.

You could try contacting Cleveland and Teesside Local History society http://ctlhs.co.uk/
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Whoops! Oh yes, I can now see the infants school marked - don't know how I only saw the bigger school.  Can't see the woods for the trees sometimes. :-[

I have since written to the present school as I know sometimes schools retain old records.

I will write to this local history society too.  Thank you so very much Jen.  :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 09:47 GMT (UK) »
I have written to the local history society.

Looks like a very interesting site Jen!  I will have to look at it more closely when I get more time.  I have just noticed some familiar names on the census on this site.  Eliza's Mother was the Lucy (Louisa) Simpson nee Gamesby.  Lucy was the illegitimate daughter of Eliza Gamesby who married William Ditchburn.  On this website I think I see familiar Ditchburn names.  Perhaps Eliza moved back to be near these relatives who might have stayed in the area.  I think there might be a lead in this to be investigated.

I should add my parents were mixed marriage Dad was Catholic and Mam C of E.  They married in a registry but then a priest insisted they go through a Catholic ceremony too.  Mam never considered herself Catholic though.   I tend to think that my Mother would only have sent my sister to a Catholic school if it wasn't too far away.  So I think the Lingdale school is still the likeliest one. 

Thanks so much again Jen.  :)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
I have had another look at the website and it is very interesting to note that it appears that my Great x 3 Grandmother's (Eliza Ditchburn nee Gamesby - Eliza's Grandmother) son Andrew Ditchburn lived at
32 Dixon Street in 1881
5 Dixon Street in 1891
Again at 32 in 1901
40 Dixon Street in 1911

Also Arthur J Codling is living at no 10 with his family in 1911.  Eliza was with him in his house in 1939 I recall.

So I think it likely that Eliza Ann had family still in this vicinity in the 1940s and she probably moved here for family reasons yet unknown. 

Offline Joed99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 13 November 20 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is a Lingdale History Public Facebook Group you could join and try leaving a message, its a off shoot of the excellent History of Lingdale website

https://www.facebook.com/groups/151383042012//

Regs

John

ex Dixon St resident and Lingdale school attendee !

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 November 20 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for this Joed.  I am not on Facebook and dare I say, it I have never really be drawn to Facebook.  (I know I will likely be considered a dinosaur about this).

This website is excellent though, I can see some of Eliza's relations on it.  And surprise surprise on there is recorded my deceased Uncle (Ernest Porritt) who married my Dad's eldest sister!!   So now I know where he hailed from.  :)  I only knew him in his later years.  When I knew him in my childhood he had unfortunately lost both legs.  Family lore was he had had an accident with a train but I can't imagine anyone would survive such an incident.  I wonder if he might have just had an accident at a mine somewhere.  Commendations to the person who created this site indeed.