Author Topic: Location of Royal Navy bases and ships WW2  (Read 310 times)

Offline Paul4444

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Location of Royal Navy bases and ships WW2
« on: Monday 09 November 20 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I've received my Grandads service records from WW2 from the Royal Navy. I've been doing a bit of research but I'd like some help please. My Grandad was a wireman, which I've figured out was an electrician. I have been researching all the locations he was based and I've determined it was mainly shore bases and minesweepers. I have a number of questions that I would like to try and find the answers for.

1. As he was an electrician was he based on the minesweepers as crew or just when they needed fixing (at shore)?

2. If he was crew on the minesweepers is there a way to find out where they were at a particular date?

3. I can't really find anything on HMS Melampus. He was in hospital in Africa at the same time so I'm guessing its a base or ship that was in Africa at time.

4. If he was serving as crew does anyone have any pictures of the ships he was on.

I've attached a pdf with all the info I have. The navy supplied the ship or shore name and dates, the rest I have compiled.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Location of Royal Navy bases and ships WW2
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 November 20 20:40 GMT (UK) »
HMS Melampus was a WW2 Shore Establishment at Bathurst, The Gambia between 1941 and 1945.
The town of Bathurst is now called Banjul, and is the capital of The Gambia.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)