Author Topic: Lordship of Farncombe  (Read 593 times)

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lordship of Farncombe
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Bromham was ' is a village in Wiltshire.  A mercer is a general term for a merchant or trader, derived from the French.   Research Bayly of Bromham, there may be links that will be useful to you, cheers, Ian
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Pammy22

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Thank you.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 21:56 GMT (UK) »
I have the transcript of a will of an ancestor dated 1558. It says "and my indenture held of the lordship of Farncombe". Does anyone know what that means? Was he "Lord of the Manor" or did he rent property from the "lordship of Farncombe". Thanks.

An indenture was a document used in contracts, title deeds, and relating to apprentices or agreements with servants. I would think in this case it could most probably be relating to title deeds.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk