Author Topic: McGarry/MeGarry of Aghanamoney/Ballinderry  (Read 992 times)

Offline Leyb2004

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McGarry/MeGarry of Aghanamoney/Ballinderry
« on: Tuesday 10 November 20 17:26 GMT (UK) »
My starting point is the 1851 census where William Megarry (b 1792) & his wife Bridget (nee Weir, b 1794) are at 18 Aghanamoney with most of their children.  William & his father William snr both appear in the 1833 Tithe records at Aghakinmoney.  William Snr died in 1847 whilst living with son Henry.
Children of William & Bridget (m 1821):
James (b 1829); m Margaret Peel in 1854 at St Joseph's Glenavy.  James became a JP.
Mary (b 1831); Mary was living with Uncle Henry in 1851 census. there is a Mary in the 1862 Griffiths
Ellen (b 1833); possibly married ? Carolan.
Jane (b 1833);  m John Edgar in 1851 at St Joseph's.
Helena (b 1835); m William Henry Kennedy in 1858 At St Joseph's, moved to Belfast.
Letitia (b 1836); m Patrick Graham in 1860 at St Joseph's, moved to Belfast the Scotland.  Letitia is my GtGrandmother.
William (b 1837); m Ann Jane Montgomery in 1870 in Belfast, moved to Dublin.
Hugh (b 1840)
Margaret (b 1842).
Having married in 1821, and with James the first "recorded" child, there could be older siblings and I have taken a punt that they are:
Elizabeth, m John Hean(e)y c 1848 in St Joseph's.
Thomas, m Sara Brethill c 1848 in St Joseph's
Robert, m Mary Ann McAreavy c 1851 in St Joseph's.

In 1851 census living at 13 Aghanamoney is Henry Megarry (b 1806), his wife Catherine (nee McGrann, b 1811), they married in 1828 and their children:
Jane (b 1835)
John (b 1837); m Margaret Dobson in 1857, probably moved to Belfast.
Edward (b 1842); m Mary McKenna in 1864 in St Patrick's Belfast, moved to Belfast.
Thomas (b 1845); m  ? McIlhone in 1873 in Belfast.
Catherine (b 1847); m James McGarrell in 1881 in St Joseph's Glenavy.
Susan (b 1850); m Patric/John Magee in 1880 in St Joseph's, moved to Belfast.
William Henry (b 1855)
Robert (b 1853)
Again with a gap of 7 years between marriage 7 first recorded child, there could be three older children, taken a punt on:
James Henry; m Isabella Bryans in 1848, remained in the Glenavy area.
Mary; m Francis McQuillan in 1851 in St Joseph's, 1901 census in Belfast.
Ann; m Henry Cousins  c 1858.

There were several other families in the area, who may be siblings of William & Henry:
Ann; m John Barbour in 1827 (Ballinderry:        Catherine; m John McKee in 1832 (Ballinderry);               
Edward; m Catherine McGulkan? (Ballinderry):  Elizabeth; m John McCarten in 1828 (Ballinderry):  Ellen; Thomas McGil(l/e) in 1829 (Ballinderry):  Hugh; m Biddy McManus in 1828 (Ballinderry):
Letitia; m John Murray in 1836 (Ballinderry);     Margaret; m John Harbison c 1829 (Ballinderry):
Mary; m Francis McIlvenna in 1842 (Ballinderry)  and possibly also a Thomas m c1830 (Glenavy?).

Looking to see if anyone recognises any of these names!!  I have been using names of witnesses & godparents to make connections.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: McGarry/MeGarry of Aghanamoney/Ballinderry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 17:40 GMT (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 00:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan Mc Garry who married John/Patrick Magee was my great grand mother. She had 2 sons Henry  who died young and Charles my grandfather. John/Patrick Magee died in his twenties and Susan Magee remarried a Mc Garry and had another son The Mc Garry family she married into lived about Sandy Bay Another relative researched these families but its hard to get my head around all the Mc Garrys as my grandfather and Felix Mc Garry firstly married 2 sisters Cassie and Helena Mc Cann and then he married a second time to Mary Jane Mc Garry I have come across others researching McGarrys but to me they have families mixed up

Offline Leyb2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niccorr,  Hello Cousin, your Susan & my Letitia were cousins, living almost next door to each other must have known each other very well as children. 
But, back to the drawing board!!  I had a John & Susan Magee, in the 1901 census, living in Carrickfergus Road Belfast, now, obviously NOT our John & Susan, although Susan's age fitted.  Now I have seen the births of Charles (13/9/1880) & Henry (7/4/1882), that fits with the naming conventions 1st son after paternal grandfather & 2nd son after maternal grandfather (same as in Scotland).  John, perhaps died on 24/1/1883. 
Apologies if you have done this all before, in the registers of St Joseph's RC Glenavy Susan married a "J Magee", there is no male witness name, the female witness is Kate MeGarry (sister) but in the civil record (via the Ulster Historical Foundation website) "John" is a "Patrick", the female witness is Catherine Megarry & a male witness is Mathew Murray (I believe Susan had an Aunt Letitia who married a John Murray  in 1836, perhaps Mathew is a cousin??). 
Do you know which McGarry Susan married, 2 McGarry's marrying suggests that they were not related (or closely anyway), might help sorting out who is who. 
I have a couple of Felix's on my lists (thought that would be an easy name!). 
I have hundreds of McGarry's on my lists, trying to sort them into families, to see who I might be related to.  Working in the basis that relatives usually act as witnesses & godparents I have tried shuffle people into families, unfortunately the RC church records stop (online anyway) around the 1880s, making it difficult to match people up and having no census records between 1851 & 1901 doesn't help either.
I live in SE England so I am not familiar with Ireland, trying to get my head round these townlands.  I have visited Glenavy about 15 years ago and found a grave in St Joseph's with some of my Letitia's children therein.  Letitia, married name Graham, moved to Scotland in 1870, several of her children are buried there, the remainder, excluding my grandmother, emigrated to the USA in the 1890's.  There are loads of McGarry's in that churchyard, but a headstone that just says "McGarry Family Grave" is not much help, is it.
It would be very helpful if you could pass on to me any snippets of info you might have.
Regards Michael.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 17:13 GMT (UK) »
I had a John & Susan Magee, in the 1901 census, living in Carrickfergus Road Belfast.......

There isn't a Carrickfergus Road in Belfast.

Is this what you saw?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Rural/West_Division/992154/

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline niccorr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael Susan married a Robert Mc Garry Think John Magee is right as Patrick would have only been 16/17 in 1880 Have family records for the Magee and Mc Cann families and I have bits and pieces of Mc Garry info as they are intertwined everywhere Will do a bit of looking at what I have and work backways

Offline Leyb2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 23:31 GMT (UK) »
I had a John & Susan Magee, in the 1901 census, living in Carrickfergus Road Belfast.......

There isn't a Carrickfergus Road in Belfast.

Is this what you saw?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Carrickfergus_Rural/West_Division/992154/

KG

This is the one, time for some new glasses methinks.  Thanks KG.

Offline Leyb2004

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 November 20 23:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Michael Susan married a Robert Mc Garry Think John Magee is right as Patrick would have only been 16/17 in 1880 Have family records for the Magee and Mc Cann families and I have bits and pieces of Mc Garry info as they are intertwined everywhere Will do a bit of looking at what I have and work backways

Hi Niccorr,
Are you based in NI?, I ask because my Letitia married a Patrick Graham and in the 1870 Belfast street directory they are at Hopewell St, this profession is given as "traveller".  What would an NI interpretation be of this description? 
Thanks for doing a bit of digging.
Michael

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 November 20 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Niccorr,
Are you based in NI?, I ask because my Letitia married a Patrick Graham and in the 1870 Belfast street directory they are at Hopewell St, this profession is given as "traveller".  What would an NI interpretation be of this description? 
Thanks for doing a bit of digging.
Michael

A traveller was someone who travelled about (salesman or representative for a company/companies)- sometimes listed as a commercial traveller.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!