Author Topic: Born and married the same year?  (Read 1388 times)

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Born and married the same year?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 November 20 22:08 GMT (UK) »
Ah! Thank you :)

Is there any way of working out from the index where an event was registered?

Hi Forfarian

Regarding late registrations of Births, the actual registering of same (and if this was many years later), may have taken place in quite a different location to where the person was actually born. 
Depending on the year/years involved, some of this information can be found under "New Zealand Birth Index"  online at ancestry.com - otherwise it is necessary to consult the microfiche records of NZ Births (accessed at some larger libraries and repositories in New Zealand).

In the case of your John ASPLIN, the info that follows possibly hints at the locality of his birthplace ?
[Bear in mind that "registration place" may be many, many, miles (kilometres  :D) from actual birthplace - especially in rural districts. ]

Electoral

1911 and 1914 - Manawatu-Wanganui - Taumarunui Roll
ASPLIN - Walter Thomas - Pio Pio - Blacksmith

1919 - Waikato - Waikato Roll
ASPLIN - Walter Thomas - Pio Pio* - Blacksmith
ASPLIN - Ethel - Te Kuiti* - married.

[Note:  * Husband /wife shown at two different places -- Te Kuiti may have been home base with Pio Pio being workplace of husband ? ]

[Also in 1914 and 1919 at Pio Pio, Arthur ASPLIN - Coach builder ] :

1938 - Waikato - Waikato roll

ASPLIN - Walter Thomas - Rukuhia - blacksmith
ASPLIN - John - Rukuhia - mechanic

NZ Births - registration districts (@ancestry) :

ASPLIN
1911 - Effie - Reg. at Te Awamutu
1915 - Dorothy - reg. at Te Kuiti
1917 - Nancy Elizabeth - Reg. at Otorohanga

[Note:  John (1913)  and Arthur Rufus ASPLIN (1918-19) not found on ancestry listing. ]

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 November 20 22:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Forfarian

... should have mentioned that a "google" search of those New Zealand placenames, will take you to some good information / maps, etc. where you can get a better idea of where John ASPLIN and family lived.   Happy hunting !   ;)

~  Lu

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 November 20 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Lucy. Very useful. Though I am not in a position to visit libraries etc in NZ as I live in Scotland.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 13 November 20 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Lucy. Very useful. Though I am not in a position to visit libraries etc in NZ as I live in Scotland.

Yes, I was aware that you lived in Scotland, but mentioned the fact about the records at New Zealand Libraries etc. because that's where they are housed.  ;)

You'll see earlier that I gave address in 1938 for John ASPLIN as Rukuhia, Waikato. 
The largest (and perhaps nearest) registry office for that timeframe, was probably Hamilton (at that time a borough - became a city in 1945).   

You were asking about "any way of working out from the index where an event was registered" ... so hopefully that's already been explained previously ?

If you need to know the exact place of birth though, then you'd need to purchase the Birth record (1938 version) from NZ BDM.   :)    Hope that helps ?

~   Lu

Offline minniehaha

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "To live in hearts we leave behind, Is not to die"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 13 November 20 02:13 GMT (UK) »
HAMMOND, Cainham/Caynham, Shropshire, U.K. Otago-NZ.
GALBRAITH, Ireland, Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Kensington-London, U.K.
GRANT, Sct., Dunedin, Otago-NZ., Vancouver, Canada.
GLASS, Aberdeenshire, Otago-NZ.
CAIRNEY/CARNEY/KEARNEY/Ireland, Airdrie, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
O'BRIEN Mary Ann, Limerick, Otago-NZ.
NICOL(L) James, Scotland, Otago-NZ.
SCOTT Thomas, Shetland, Otago-NZ.
MCHARDY/MCHARDIE Euphemia, Scotland, Otago-NZ.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 13 November 20 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed, Minniehaha. I knew they had been divorced, but the 1994 document is new to me and clarifies quite a few questions.

I shall also be spending some of the coming dark winter evenings exploring the NZ Archives more closely.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • If only they could talk !
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 13 November 20 20:04 GMT (UK) »

Yes, I was aware that you lived in Scotland, but mentioned the fact about the records at New Zealand Libraries etc. because that's where they are housed.  ;)

You'll see earlier that I gave address in 1938 for John ASPLIN as Rukuhia, Waikato. 
The largest (and perhaps nearest) registry office for that timeframe, was probably Hamilton (at that time a borough - became a city in 1945).   

You were asking about "any way of working out from the index where an event was registered" ... so hopefully that's already been explained previously ?

If you need to know the exact place of birth though, then you'd need to purchase the Birth record (1938 version) from NZ BDM.   :)    Hope that helps ?

~   Lu

Hello.

A lot is known, and written about this RUKUHIA ASPLIN family. Just off the top of my head, Asplin's Garage on the highway south of Hamilton, at Rukuhia, was constantly being photographed, after they were successful in obtaining redundant / surplus American aircraft and parts and set up a wrecking yard, adjacent to the garage in the 1950's. The wheels made ideal tyers for large farm trailers on the near by soft peatlands, electrical gear turned into mobile farm welders, and with the shortage of imported metal, framing and sheet aluminium found a ready market.

No time to search for you now, but I am sure you will find hits combining the surname with "Garage" and "Rukuhia"

PS; the photo archives librarian at the Hamilton City Library, I'm sure would be happy to hunt out some photos for you.

Alan.
Early Settlers & Heritage. Family History.

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline Fresh Fields

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 November 20 20:49 GMT (UK) »
Info from late 1960's and into 1970's re Businesses John Asplin had an interest in.  Google won't now find Milton street HAMILTON, as a new bypass was created that incorporated the former Milton street.

Alan.